[ome-users] problem reading 14bit JPEG2000

Curtis Rueden ctrueden at wisc.edu
Tue Sep 10 14:58:56 BST 2013

Hi Mario,

> I get an error that the jai libraries would be missing. I checked my
> installation of Fiji (fully up-to-date and no local modifications or
> extras) and it brings jai_imageio-1.0.1.jar. Am I doing something
> wrong?

Nope, it was a problem introduced in the Fiji distribution recently.

Short answer: I believe I have fixed it. Please try updating again and let
me know if it works now.

Long answer: Fiji now ships both SCIFIO (http://scif.io/) and Bio-Formats.
Each library has its own version of jai_imageio. Both are forks of the
official jai_imageio. Bio-Formats's fork does *not* shade (i.e., rename)
the packages; SCIFIO's does. Hence, both can be coexist in the same JVM
(but not with the official version). Until just now, the SCIFIO version
(i.e., jai_imageio-1.0.1.jar) was "overwriting" the Bio-Formats one, so
both were not being shipped. I have remedied it by moving the Bio-Formats
version into the "jars/bio-formats" subfolder.

Regards,
Curtis