[ome-users] Combine two tif to a multilayer tif

Melissa Linkert melissa at glencoesoftware.com
Mon May 14 19:07:26 BST 2012

Hi Jürgen,

> I have some image data in MetaMorph format. The Image format is not
> supported by Omero and I have to create an OME-XML header prior to
> importing the data.

MetaMorph data is definitely supposed to be supported.  Could you please
tell us what goes wrong when you try to import it into OMERO (as the
simplest solution is almost always to just import the original data)?

> Each channel (I have two, DAPI and GFP) is saved in a single separate image.
>
> For further processing I would like to combine the two channel
> images into a multi-layer tif file with a single header.
>
> I can do using convert from the imagemagick pckage:
>
> convert file1.tif file2.tif output.tif
>
> But that literally just concatenates the two files, resulting in a
> multi-layer file but also in two headers, so I have
>
> Exif.Image.Description
>
> as well as:
>
> Exif.Image2.Description
>
> Does anyone know of a tool to properly combine the two tiff files
> resulting in a new multi-layer tif file with a single header?

I believe this:

http://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/color_basics/#combine

and this:

http://www.imagemagick.org/discourse-server/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13534

explain how to do what you want in ImageMagick.

Regards,
-Melissa