[ome-users] OMERO Importer Status

Brian Loranger brian.loranger at lifesci.dundee.ac.uk
Wed May 27 12:45:38 BST 2009

Hi Everyone,

First of all thanks to all of you who came to Paris. The feedback on
OMERO and the importer were invaluable.

As a result of the meeting we're now looking very hard at our testing
process and how we integrate the importer and bio-formats, and have
identified a number of file formats that were causing problems. You'll
be happy to hear we're rolling out an internal test of the importer in
the next few days to fix problems with LSM510s, TIFFs, Olympus FV1000,
and Micromanager files. Additionally we've seen a few problems with
OME-TIFFs and are working with vendors where needed to get the
problems fixed. Once our internal testing is complete, we'll be making
the new version of the importer available for download.

One of the clear messages we also received at Paris is that we're not
doing enough testing to catch 'edge case' file format exceptions, so
we're now looking to integrate our entire 250GB multi-format
repository of images into our testing suite. This and other
improvements to the 'data in' system has become one of our top
priorities, so you should see file formats importing much more
reliably in the near future.

Cheers and thanks again for your support,

Brian Loranger
Software Developer, Open Microscopy Environment
Division of Gene Regulation and Expression
University of Dundee
(The University of Dundee is a registered Scottish charity, No:
SC015096)