[ome-users] Logs in OMERO?

josh.moore at gmx.de josh.moore at gmx.de
Thu Sep 11 21:36:37 BST 2008

» Ruben Alves writes:
 > Hi Josh,

Hi, Ruben.

This is an interesting idea, but probably requires adding more log
statements into the server or other functionality to take this all the
way.

 > In fact, I was searching a way to produce stats from logs:
 >
 > + with Awstats (adapting OMERO logs to Apache Logs)
 > ----+ Visitors,
 > ----+ Bandwidth,
 > ----+ Top 10 hosts,
 > ----+ Top 10 users,

Just some initial thoughts here, but it would be interesting to hear
what others think as well:

 * visitors/users - The "Auth: " lines logged by ServiceHandler are
   really the only form of "visitor" information. They signal that a
   user has logged in, and are printed (with the right logging)
   per method call.

 * bandwidth - really depends on how this should be measured. The
   rendering engine, I believe, has some stats which are
   printed. Chris can correct me if I'm wrong, but that would be one
   form of "through-put" that could be measured. Were you thinking of
   any others?

 * The host information in both JBoss and in the OMERO.blitz server is
   not straight-forward to come by.

 * There is also some statistically logging that can be done via the
   com.jamonapi logger.

 > + MRTG - I was thinking a way to write scripts in order to see how many
 > simultaneous users are connected to OMERO.

 * This information is tracked by the server but not currently
   available from the API and not explicitly logged. One possible way
   to do this would be to check for all opened sessions, but it might
   not be all that straight-forward since you would have to check for
   (possibly forgotten) calls to "close".

 > In order to conclude, I was searching a way to monitor and have a better
 > understanding of how OMERO works in the server.

Doing this via logging is certainly valid and really quite
interesting, but I think it also makes sense to eventually add methods
like this as part of the administration functionality which the API provides.
This would allow a client in any of the languages we support (with the
proper permissions!) to ask for current statistics.

OMERO.web could then use that to display the data
graphically. Currently, WebAdmin (http://localhost:8080/WebAdmin)
provides disk usage data. Ola probably already has ideas of the next
best statistics to add.

For you, Ruben, it could be "as simple as" getting the HTML and
parsing out the bits you need, or is the awstats route more what you
are looking for?

 > Best Regards,
 > //Ruben

The same to you,
~Josh.

P.S. By the way, if you or anyone else has additions like this which
you need or even just fancy, don't hesitate to add them to our to-do
list ("trac").

Log in at:

  https://trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/omero/login

as "omero" with password "omero". Then, click on "New Ticket". I went
ahead and added this as:

  https://trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/omero/ticket/1095

in case anyone wants to take a look. (No need to login)