[ome-devel] installing OME on Ubuntu

Ilya Goldberg igg at nih.gov
Thu Jun 1 19:04:42 BST 2006

We're running Apache 2 on all our FCs.  We didn't have problems with
our config files since we fixed things to work with the recent API
changes to mod_perl.  It should now work with the old Apache1/
mod_perl1, Apache2/mod_perl2, as well as the transitional Apache2/
mod_perl1.99 API styles.

If "automated" installation is still not working, we should probably
fix that in the installer - I just can't reproduce these problems on
any of the systems we have running here.  Within reason of course,
because there's no accounting for what all somebody can do to their
config file.  Install on a "stock" distro should be fairly automated.

Regarding the installer not being able to find the document root or
cgi-bin (Curtis Prob #2):
The installer was able to find the httpd binary, and use it to
determine the location of httpd.conf.  So all is not lost.
The regex for finding the DocumentRoot and the ScriptAlias in
httpd.conf are:
/^\s*DocumentRoot\s+["]*([^"|\n]+)["]*/
/^\s*ScriptAlias\s+\/cgi-bin\/\s+["]*([^"|\n]+)["]*/
(the stuff in the parens is plucked out as the paths for these things.)

Apparently they don't work for your httpd.conf.  Can you email back
what those lines say in yours?

Problem #1 isn't a problem - I tried to tone down the scary-looking
errors, but I guess I should have just suppressed them.
Problem #3 is hopefully an omeis thing that was fixed (please try
again after a new check-out).  If not, then maybe its a libxml thing
like Chris was suggesting.  I think its an omeis thing though
(crossing fingers).

-Ilya