[ome-devel] installing OME on Ubuntu

Curtis Rueden ctrueden at wisc.edu
Fri Jun 2 19:27:47 BST 2006

Hi,

August wrote:
>I can confirm that OME works fine with Apache2 and Ubuntu.   You just

Thanks.

Ilya wrote:

> Regarding the installer not being able to find the document root or
> cgi-bin (Curtis Prob #2):
> The installer was able to find the httpd binary, and use it to
> determine the location of httpd.conf.  So all is not lost.
> The regex for finding the DocumentRoot and the ScriptAlias in
> httpd.conf are:
> /^\s*DocumentRoot\s+["]*([^"|\n]+)["]*/
> /^\s*ScriptAlias\s+\/cgi-bin\/\s+["]*([^"|\n]+)["]*/
> (the stuff in the parens is plucked out as the paths for these things.)
>
> Apparently they don't work for your httpd.conf.  Can you email back
> what those lines say in yours?

I looked into this. The problem is that on my system, the main configuration
file (apache2.conf) uses shell glob style Include directives (e.g., "Include
/etc/apache2/sites-enabled/[^.#]*") rather than pointing only at single
files. I have committed a fix to Apache to evaluate each Include directive
and add all matching files to the IncludeSet. The installer now properly
detects DocumentRoot and ScriptAlias on my system. Note that perl
glob/bsd_glob does not work with the Apache glob syntax, so I had to roll my
own solution using a modified glob-to-regex subroutine, but it seems to work
well.

Problem #1 isn't a problem - I tried to tone down the scary-looking
> errors, but I guess I should have just suppressed them.

I added the phrase "If this is your first time installing OME, this message
is normal and can be safely ignored" to the parenthetical notes. The "System
Error: No such file or directory" and "System Error: Bad file descriptor"
messages are still pretty scary, though. It would be nice if they could be
suppressed.

Problem #3 is hopefully an omeis thing that was fixed (please try
> again after a new check-out).  If not, then maybe its a libxml thing
> like Chris was suggesting.  I think its an omeis thing though
> (crossing fingers).

I did "sudo rm -rf ~/OME" and "sudo -rf /OME" and "cvs co OME" from scratch,
but still no dice, unfortunately.

Since you said this could be due to a race condition with Berkeley DB, I
tried every version available for Ubuntu (libdb4.3-dev, libdb4.2-dev,
libdb4.1-dev, libdb3-dev, libdb2-dev, and libdb1-dev), with no success.
(libdb1 is too old to be recognized by the installer prerequisites checker,
and libdb2 gave more and worse error messages. The others all die on import
of Repository.ome.)

For libxml, I have libxml2-dev 2.6.21 installed. I am going to try the CVS
version of XML::LibXML that Chris emailed out recently. I'll keep you
posted.

One other interesting note: the installer died once testing mod_perl,
claiming it was improperly configured, with a "500 Server closed connection
without sending any data back" error. Seems very fishy, since it is eerily
similar to the 500 EOF errors usually seen from the Repository.ome import
later on. Maybe there is a deeper bug in my Apache/mod_perl setup?

-Curtis