[ome-users] Import metadata from lif image

Curtis Rueden ctrueden at wisc.edu
Thu Jan 31 22:01:43 GMT 2008

Hi Mario,

The behavior you describe is both an incomplete implementation within
Bio-Formats, and a limitation of the OME data model itself. The Bio-Formats
metadata conversion to the OME data model is a work in progress, and we do
not yet convert the Objective information from Leica LIF files.

In addition, the OME data model often requires certain metadata fields to be
populated -- in the case of Objective, it requires Model, Manufacturer,
Correction, Immersion, LensNA, NominalMagnification,
CalibratedMagnification, and WorkingDistance. However, no third party format
actually stores all of that information, which means that it is currently
impossible for Bio-Formats to fully convert objective-related information
into an OME-compliant document. A solution to this problem is under
discussion, and we hope to have a solution by the end of March.

In the meantime, Bio-Formats does preserve all the metadata in its original
form when importing to an OME database. You can see it by clicking on the
"Image import" module execution link from the image detail page, scrolling
down and looking at the "OriginalMetadata" entries. Please let me know if
this does not work.

-Curtis