[ome-devel] Required TIFF IFD Fields in OME-TIFF?

Curtis Rueden ctrueden at wisc.edu
Tue Sep 8 19:41:32 BST 2009

Hi Nick,

Of perhaps more importance: does OME care about IFDs? Are there required IFD
> data? Or does the completeness of my IFDs only make the file more compatible
> with TIFF readers and not really effect OME? Like, could I just skip the
> details in the TIFF IFDs and just have things like ImageWidth, ImageLength,
> etc, which I'm sure the bio-formats tools need to correctly parse the data?

OME does not specifically care about any IFD values, no -- at least, not any
above and beyond what would normally be required for a regular TIFF. You
should populate exactly what you would normally populate if the file were
not OME-TIFF. Any overlap between OME metadata and TIFF IFD values (SizeX
vs. ImageWidth, SizeY vs. ImageHeight, etc.) should be consistent -- if it
is not, Bio-Formats will issue a warning message and the resultant behavior
may not be what you want.

-Curtis