[ome-devel] Required TIFF IFD Fields in OME-TIFF?

Nick Perry nperry at stanford.edu
Tue Sep 8 11:48:52 BST 2009

To expand on my question:

If I have a lifetime channel in my image, and I want to put it in a TIFF
file format, then the IFD for that lifetime channel plane at a given Z, Time
could have:

BitsPerSample = 16 (if each 'pixel' in this plane should be read as a SHORT)
PhotometricInterpretation = 1
SamplesPerPixel = 1

Is this about right?

Of perhaps more importance: does OME care about IFDs? Are there required IFD
data? Or does the completeness of my IFDs only make the file more compatible
with TIFF readers and not really effect OME? Like, could I just skip the
details in the TIFF IFDs and just have things like ImageWidth, ImageLength,
etc, which I'm sure the bio-formats tools need to correctly parse the data?