[ome-users] Hardware for 150 OMERO users

Christian Dietrich c.dietrich at imb-mainz.de
Thu Jul 20 15:49:40 BST 2017

Dear all,

I am currently planning to upgrade our omero/columbus server and
i would be very grateful for your opinion if you think the planned
hardware is able to handle about 150 OMERO users and if not,
what the bottle neck could be (cpu, ram, diskio performance)?

  2x Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2620 v4 (8C/16T x 2.1/3.0 GHz)
  1x 256 GB DDR4-2400 Reg ECC RAM (8x 32GB)
  2x Intel SSD3520 480GB (RAID1) - CentOS and PostgreSQL DB
12x Seagate Enterprise Capacity 10 TB HDD (RAID6)* - Data

*Maybe extended later to 36 Disks (RAID60 - 3x RAID6)

My biggest concern is DiskIO, even though I think its mostly sequential read/writes.

Are there any performance differences between OMERO versions? (eg v5.3.X vs v4.4.X)

I'm also intrested if anyone already gained some experience with OMERO on compressed filesystems
instead of ext4. In my small tests with Btrfs (gzip level 3) i were able to save about 40% of diskspace.

Kind regards
Christian