[ome-users] Hardware for 150 OMERO users

Kenneth Gillen (Staff) k.h.gillen at dundee.ac.uk
Fri Jul 21 11:40:24 BST 2017

Hi Christian,

>I am currently planning to upgrade our omero/columbus server

Our first thoughts are to point out that vanilla OMERO is not a direct
replacement for Columbus. If you move to OMERO, you won¹t have any of the
custom Columbus features, such as Acapella etc.

>... is able to handle about 150 OMERO users and if not,
There¹s no good way to answer this, as it will vary greatly depending on
what your users are doing with the system, and how many of the 150 users
you expect to have using it concurrently.

This definitely exceeds our `current future proofed for 3-4 year` spec on
our system requirements page [1]. The best advice we can probably give is
to thoroughly test the system for your expected use case.

>what the bottle neck could be (cpu, ram, diskio performance)?
We¹ve written a little about this at [1] - it¹s usually never CPU nor RAM
(at the size you¹ve specced), exceptions to that may be where your users
want to run significant server-side scripts and processing. SSD for
PostgreSQL is the best foundation for performance.

>12x Seagate Enterprise Capacity 10 TB HDD (RAID6)* - Data
>*Maybe extended later to 36 Disks (RAID60 - 3x RAID6)
>My biggest concern is DiskIO, even though I think its mostly sequential
>read/writes.

Filesystem performance and storage configuration will definitely impact
performance and the future maintainability of the system. Definitely seek
experienced advice here.

>Are there any performance differences between OMERO versions? (eg v5.3.X
>vs v4.4.X)

We would expect OMERO 5.3.X to perform at least as well as OMERO 4.4.X, at
least approximately. Some operations on large data, like moving large
plates and screens to other groups, now run much faster. Image import has
also gained various options that can speed bulk import of large data.

>I'm also intrested if anyone already gained some experience with OMERO on
>compressed filesystems
instead of ext4. In my small tests with Btrfs (gzip level 3) i were able
to save about 40% of diskspace.

Do note that since OMERO 5.0.0, new imports always store the original
files in the server's binary repository: rather like always "archiving"
the files with OMERO 4.4.X. The image data that OMERO 4.4.X typically
stored in the Pixels directory often does not need to be generated as,
since OMERO 5.0.0, the server can usually render image data directly from
the original image format. The effectiveness of using a compressed
filesystem going forward may thus be lower if your users are importing
images that are already in a well-compressed format.

[1]
https://docs.openmicroscopy.org/omero/5.3.3/sysadmins/system-requirements.h
tml

All the best,

Kenny

--

Kenneth Gillen

OME System Administrator

Wellcome Trust Centre for Gene Regulation & Expression
School of Life Sciences
CTIR 2
University of Dundee
Dow Street
Dundee  DD1 5EH
United Kingdom

Tel: +44 (0) 1382 388797

http://www.twitter.com/openmicroscopy

On 20/07/2017 15:49, "ome-users on behalf of Christian Dietrich"
<ome-users-bounces at lists.openmicroscopy.org.uk on behalf of