[ome-users] [FLIMfit-users] FLIMfit is not fitting B-H data nor PQ data

Paul Thomas (SCI) P.Thomas at uea.ac.uk
Thu Sep 18 14:00:35 BST 2014

Hi Jan and Ian,

Here is my basic protocol for analysis using FLIMfit - this is REALLY basic as I am very much a beginner:

FLIMfit basic fitting:

1)	Load FLIM data
2)	Draw ROI on area to be analysed
3)	In palettes below, under "Data" choose Smoothing  = 5x5 (B&H 2) and set Integrated Min to appropriate value (Threshold level for counts) [Note: If NOT using an IRF set Time Min to start  time of the fluor peak.]
4)	In Background palette choose Background = Single value and iteratively try various numbers until the first part of the fit (pre-peak) is close to 0
5)	At bottom under "Lifetime", choose Global fitting = "Pixel-wise"
6)	From IRF menu choose "Load IRF", and open IRF file - if necessary choose "Estimate IRF shift" from the same menu (stop iterations when Function value reaches a minimum)
7)	At the very bottom choose "Fit Dataset" - data is shown in Parameter palette beneath the Decay window; satisfactory fit is indicated by low Chi2 value (<1.2) - try shifting IRF again, or changing other parameters if fit not good
8)	Tau map is obtained in Image palette by checking tau_1 Dis. box, and adjusting Min and Max values

A question for Ian - I was advised to use "Time varying background", but I haven't been able to get this to work, ther doesn't seem to be any shift in the baseline when I choose an ROI in the background of my image, and no indication that background has been subtracted. Any clues as to where I'm going wrong?

Thanks,
Paul.
______________________________________
Dr. Paul Thomas, Manager,
The Henry Wellcome Laboratory for Cell Imaging,
Faculty of Science,
University of East Anglia,
Norwich Research Park,
Norwich,
NR4 7TJ,
United Kingdom.
e-mail: p.thomas at uea.ac.uk
Tel: +44-1603-592196
Fax: +44-1603-592250
Imaging web-site: https://www.uea.ac.uk/biological-sciences/research/facilities/henry-wellcome-lab
Personal web-page: https://www.uea.ac.uk/biological-sciences/research/facilities/henry-wellcome-lab/people

UK Top 15 (14th in the Guardian University Guide 2015; 15th in the Complete University Guide 2015)
UK Top 3 for Student Experience (Times Higher Education Student Experience Survey 2014)
World top 1% (Times Higher Education World Rankings 2013-14)
World Top 100 (Leiden Ranking 2014)

This email is confidential and may be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient please accept my apologies; please do not disclose, copy or distribute information in this email or take any action in reliance on its contents: to do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. Please inform me that this message has gone astray before deleting it. Thank you for your co-operation.