[ome-users] Fwd: .ND2 reader in BioFormats

Melissa Linkert melissa at glencoesoftware.com
Fri Sep 12 00:53:59 BST 2014

Hi Christophe,

> I am using Bio-Formats 5.0.4 indeed. Have tried from a vanilla IJ1 install
> (as suggested on the IJ mailing list) but I see the same memory usage
> pattern : some saw-teeth usage around 100MB, then using ~3 times the stack
> size (still reading the header), then if I don't max out memory at this
> stage it starts reading planes up to ~1x stack size memory usage and
> opening.
>
> These are 1-channel streamed stacks from an N-STORM acquisition under NIS
> Elements 4.2, with between 50,000 and 120,000 256x256 16-bit images. As
> regards Bio-Formats import options, everything is unchecked and I ask for a
> regular ImageJ stack as output.

Thank you for the additional information.  I strongly suspect that the
issue then is the number of planes (and the metadata associated with
each plane), and not so much the raw size of the file.  Unfortunately,
I still haven't been able to reproduce the problem, but admittedly we
don't have any .nd2 files with more than ~12,000 images.

I hate to ask given the size of the files, but would you be willing to
upload one of the smaller ones for us to take a look at?  I am sending
FTP information privately in case it's needed.

Regards,
-Melissa