[ome-users] Analyzing extremely large images from AxioScan/ZEN software

Trevor Steve tsteve at ualberta.ca
Tue Sep 9 17:51:07 BST 2014

Hi All,

I am attempting to analyze extremely large images produced on an AxioScan
microscope and segmented using ZEN software.  These are CZI files with
JPEG-XR compression.

Examples of my image sizes (pixels) are:
201276 X 203751
205353 X 198345
182611 X 215607
167046 X 189615
135139 X 188422
158073 X 165835
185008 X 144463

When I run the .CZI to .TIF converter
http://hcbi.fas.harvard.edu/resources_software
I end up with TIF files which are, as an example:
182612 x 215608 (> 39 GPIX), 74.3-80.2 GB

These massive TIFF files cannot be opened by ImageJ (Bio-formats), Fiji, or
Photoshop (CS5).

I am wondering if anyone has found a solution to working with this type of
data.  Is it possible to reduce the resolution/size of the images produced
by the microscope/ZEN software?

Thanks,

Trevor

--