[ome-users] Histology data in JPEG XR format

Trevor Steve tsteve at ualberta.ca
Wed Sep 3 19:27:55 BST 2014

Hi All,

I am trying to work with CZI files compressed using JPEG-XR compression.  I
am wondering if anyone has any experience working with such files from the
following perspectives... considering that my research goal is to make
measurements of histological structures from the images

1.  Using ImageJ:  I  understand that the Bio-Formats plugin currently does
not support JPEG-XR compressed files.  Progress has been made, but it does
not look like a solution has been found.  Any advice on how progress could
be made here would be appreciated.

https://github.com/openmicroscopy/bioformats/pull/1014

2.  Converting JPEG-XR files to a format used by ImageJ.  The programs I am
familiar with for converting images do not have functionality to allow
conversion between JPEG-XR to analyzable formats such as TIFF.

http://www.bioimage.ucsb.edu/BioImage Convert

If anyone knows of a program which can convert JPEG-XR files, this would be
much appreciated.

3.  Programs that can work with JPEG-XR files and measure length of
histological structures.  I know that some programs such as Photoshop and
GIMP can open JPEG-XR files, but are much less useful for my research
application.  If anyone knows of a program which is similar to ImageJ (easy
to measure histological areas, volumes, lengths) but can open JPEG-XR, this
would also be useful.

Thanks,

Trevor

--