[ome-users] [ome-devel] omero web problem with 4.4.10

Harri Jäälinoja harri.jaalinoja at helsinki.fi
Fri Jan 31 14:58:14 GMT 2014

Dear Ola,

ok, now it's starting to make more sense. Our server was first installed
in 2012 (Beta-4.3.3 - 4.4.2), and since then we've always upgraded it
very easily by just changing the path to the installation directory in
all relevant scripts. So far it worked without any problems, but now we
need to do more.

One thing I noticed is that we need Python 2.6. Our server is RedHat 5,
with Python 2.4 as default. I can install Python 2.6 separately, but I
don't know how to set it as system default. I tried simple way by
replacing /usr/bin/python with a link to /usr/bin/python26, but that
upsets yum that needs the old version. Is there some way to tell OMERO
which Python to use?

Your Linux server documentation is for Ubuntu/Debian. Is that also the
preferred platform for OMERO? Do you develop/test on any other Linux
distributions?

How does the OMERO upgrade from version 4 to 5 work, would it be
possible to create a Ubuntu server with fresh OMERO 5, initialize
database from a dump and then configure OMERO to use the existing
storage disk? At the moment we have also servers for backing up the
database, for concistency it'd probably be good to reinstall also those
on Ubuntu. All in all this would be quite a bit of work, but it might be
worth it if it helps make the system more future-proof. At the moment
the university IT offers Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, and will offer the next LTS
version when it becomes available.

Comments and suggestions are welcome :)

Best,
Harri

On 30/01/14 17:49, Aleksandra Tarkowska wrote:
> Dear Harri,
>
> Just to clarify. With your original installation did you follow
> documentation on
> https://www.openmicroscopy.org/site/support/omero4/sysadmins/unix/server-in
> stall-linux.html#environment-variables?
> You must have PYTHONPATH set up, otherwise it will not work
>
> The following commands
>
> $OMERO_HOME/bin/omero config set omero.web.debug True
> $OMERO_HOME/bin/omero config set omero.web.application_server
> "development"
>
> $OMERO_HOME/bin/omero web start
>

> Let you start development server that is integrated with OMERO. That is
> nothing to do with nginx/apache. It run omero web on
> http://YOURHOST:4080/. You should be able to access it on the same host as
> before but you must remember about changing the port
>
> The other question, did you start omero server? Can you connect to the
> server via Insight?
>
> Please let me know if you manage to start it.
>
> Kind regards
> Ola
>

> On 30/01/2014 13:29, "Harri Jäälinoja" <harri.jaalinoja at helsinki.fi> wrote:
>

>> Dear Ola,
>>> $OMERO_HOME/bin/omero config set omero.web.debug True
>>> $OMERO_HOME/bin/omero config set omero.web.application_server
>>> "development"
>>>

>>> Then either
>>>
>>> $OMERO_HOME/bin/omero web start
>> I did this. The server started, I didn't see any error. I don't have a
>> browser on the server, so I connected from outside via Nginx, and then
>> there is an error, 502 Bad Gateway on the browser, and also something
>> strange on the log.
>>

>>> Webclient will be running on http://YOURHOST:4080/
>>>
>>> Please send me errors you get and your PYTHONPATH
>> The PYTHONPATH is empty.
>>
>> Thanks for your help,
>> Harri
>>

>>> Kind regards
>>> Ola

Harri Jäälinoja
Light Microscopy Unit
Institute of Biotechnology, University of Helsinki
http://www.biocenter.helsinki.fi/bi/lmu/
+358 9 191 59370 fax +358 9 191 59366