[ome-users] [ome-devel] omero web problem with 4.4.10

Aleksandra Tarkowska A.Tarkowska at dundee.ac.uk
Fri Jan 31 16:21:13 GMT 2014

Dear Harri,

On 31/01/2014 14:58, "Harri Jäälinoja" <harri.jaalinoja at helsinki.fi> wrote:

>Dear Ola,
>
>ok, now it's starting to make more sense. Our server was first installed
>in 2012 (Beta-4.3.3 - 4.4.2), and since then we've always upgraded it
>very easily by just changing the path to the installation directory in
>all relevant scripts. So far it worked without any problems, but now we
>need to do more.
>
>One thing I noticed is that we need Python 2.6. Our server is RedHat 5,
>with Python 2.4 as default.

Could you send me an error you got with python 2.4 that force you to
install 2.6?
OMERO 4.4.10 should still be supported by 2.4.

>I can install Python 2.6 separately, but I
>don't know how to set it as system default. I tried simple way by
>replacing /usr/bin/python with a link to /usr/bin/python26, but that
>upsets yum that needs the old version. Is there some way to tell OMERO
>which Python to use?

I think you can't just replace path. Doesn't yum sort that out?

yum install python26 python26-devel

If you run python console which version do you see?

Python 2.6.6 (r266:84292, Sep 11 2012, 08:34:23)

Installation
https://www.openmicroscopy.org/site/support/omero4/sysadmins/unix/server-in
stall-linux.html let you to set up PYTHONPATH but this might be a bit
tricky.

Did you google? For example:
http://www.agilesysadmin.net/recent-python-on-rhel-or-centos

>Your Linux server documentation is for Ubuntu/Debian. Is that also the
>preferred platform for OMERO? Do you develop/test on any other Linux
>distributions?

All our omero resources run on CentOS. If you have any specific questions
please just let us know.

>How does the OMERO upgrade from version 4 to 5 work, would it be
>possible to create a Ubuntu server with fresh OMERO 5, initialize
>database from a dump and then configure OMERO to use the existing
>storage disk?

That is possible. In order to install new instance of OMERO 5 please
follow
https://www.openmicroscopy.org/site/support/omero5/sysadmins/unix/server-in
stall-linux.html

Migration from 4 to 5 should go smoothly, please follow
https://www.openmicroscopy.org/site/support/omero5/sysadmins/server-upgrade
.html

>At the moment we have also servers for backing up the
>database, for concistency it'd probably be good to reinstall also those
>on Ubuntu. All in all this would be quite a bit of work, but it might be
>worth it if it helps make the system more future-proof. At the moment
>the university IT offers Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, and will offer the next LTS
>version when it becomes available.
>
>Comments and suggestions are welcome :)
>
>Best,
>Harri