[ome-users] Frequent Omero Server OOM

Josh Moore josh at glencoesoftware.com
Fri Nov 1 10:48:41 GMT 2013

On Oct 31, 2013, at 7:15 PM, Douglas Russell wrote:
> I'm currently having to restart OMERO every few days at minimum (I assume
> depending on usage) because of these errors. Normally there is nothing
> which looks relevant in the Blitz log. The master.err contains messages
> like the attached file.
>
> Some relevant settings:
> <property name="Ice.MessageSizeMax" value="131072"/>
> <option>-Xmx2048M</option>
> <option>-XX:MaxPermSize=1024M</option>

Other than simply needing more memory than 2GB, the only possible cause of the exceptions I can think of is a mismatch in your slice definitions. See:

http://www.zeroc.com/forums/bug-reports/4782-3-3-1-outofmemory-client-when-slice-definition-modified.html

But if you are using a release version (e.g 4.4.9), then we can eliminate that as a cause.

If it's happening periodically, it would be good to know if it's always happening after a particular method call, or after use particular user action.

Finally, a heap dump (or several on different occasions) might also point to the problem.

Cheers,
~Josh