[ome-users] [micro-manager-general] Bug: LOCI Bio-Formats importer doesn't like MM OME tiffs

Brian Teague teague at MIT.EDU
Mon Mar 25 17:41:56 GMT 2013

Melissa and Henry (and two whole mailing lists worth of lookers-on)

Thanks for your feedback.  Henry Pinkard, one of the Micro-Manager devs,
replied off-list; I'll repeat/summarize.

 - The first behavior, an exception when opening images snapped from a
live camera view and saved as an image stack, was a bug and is now fixed
(I confirmed it with last night's nightly.)

 - The second behavior, saving a multi-dimensional acquisition as a set
of image stacks, isn't a bug.  Even though each position in the multi-d
acquisition is saved to a separate file, Bio-Formats treats the entire
acquisition as a single logical entity.  So, if I use the regular
Bio-Formats importer, no matter which of the files I open, I'm asked
which series I wish to open from the entire data set.  If I use the
"windowless" importer, it just opens the first series, again regardless
of which file I select in the Open... dialog box.  This is the intended
behavior.

 - The third behavior, black images opened after saving a
multi-dimensional acquisition as a set of individual files (one for each
image), is still present.  They open fine using ImageJ's regular "Open"
command.  I'll upload a sample tarball to the OpenMicroscopy website.

Thanks for your help.
Brian