[ome-users] OMERO for Electron Microscopy

Jason Swedlow j.r.swedlow at dundee.ac.uk
Fri May 25 00:20:51 BST 2012

Hi Kim-

As decribed in our recent paper on OMERO:

http://www.openmicroscopy.org/site/about/publications

We've used OMERO to hold EM data of a variety of types:

http://emdb.openmicroscopy.org.uk/webemdb/

I've heard anecdotally of people using Columbus, Perkin-Elmer's commercial version of OMERO, to manage EM data.  Obviously, if Bio-Formats supports the data, then OMERO (more or less) supports the data.

OMERO's data model, as released doesn't explicitly include support for tomographic tilt series.  The data would go in, but the metadata will be wrong.  A proposed solution for this is here:

http://www.openmicroscopy.org/site/support/file-formats/working-with-ome-xml/6d-7d-and-8d-storage

The only other issue will be images from very large format cameras-OMERO, as released will treat these images as "Big Images", calculate pyramids etc.

If you give us more detail about the specific type of electron microscopy you are interested in, we can probably tell you more about what you can and might do.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Jason