[ome-users] OMERO install on a Mac server - success at last (mostly) but still have questions

Taylor, Ronald C ronald.taylor at pnl.gov
Wed Jun 23 23:20:42 BST 2010

Josh,

Well, OMERO is finally running on our Mac server under 10.6. I have started Postgres and the OMERO server and have logged in to OMERO remotely using the Importer and Insight clients. I've created a project, data set, and imported some images. That was successful. Yea!

There remain a couple things:

1) First, the OMERO.web web server refuses to come up. The web settings command
   omero web settings

 appeared to work fine, setting the server to wileyserver2.pnl.gov and the port to 8000

Diagnostics, invoked via
   omero admin diagnostics

says that the web server is up (active and enabled), and I don't see any errors in the very small OMEROweb.log files (I have attached them, in case I missed a clue), but I cannot log in via
   http:/wileyserver2.pnl.gov:8000

The browser says that there is no connection.

Also,
   telnet wileyserver2.pnl.gov 8000
 gets a "connection refused".

The invocation via

  omero admin ice
  >> server enable Web
  >> server start Web

 did not generate any error msgs and

  >> server state Web
 also says that the web server is active and enabled, and assigned a pid number.

Computer support here swears that there is nothing in the router or intranet that would block any ports, and the wileyserver2 firewall is down, since I have not invoked it since the last reboot. So - the problem should not be that the port is blocked, but something else.

Can you give me any leads as to what I should look for to fix this?

Also, the "omero config set" command still isn't working and I don't know why. I have used your workaround that alters the etc/grid/default.xml file, which appears to work OK. But I'd still like to find out why command line param setting is not working and get this fixed at some point. Doing a "omero config get" still returns nothing at all.

Following up on your comment:
"There's no need to set "rontaylor" for any OMERO configuration values, unless that were how you accessed PostgreSQL (instead of "psql -U omero"), nor do I think the copied server is expecting an "RT" account, as long as your file permissions are correct. (i.e. all directories needing writing to like var/ and /OMERO belong to "rontaylor")."

My file permissions are, I believe, correct. When I untar'ed, everything got converted to "rontaylor" ownership. Also, my Postgres account for omero is omero all the way - owner, password, db name are all "omero". And I can access that db without error using "psql -U omero". So - it's a stumper.

Ron