[ome-users] omero 4.0 beta login problems

Chris Roome Chris.Roome at mpimf-heidelberg.mpg.de
Fri Apr 17 08:27:49 BST 2009

Hi Steve,

If you tried Zoltan's idea of dropping the postgres database ('dropdb
omero') and the database user ('dropuser omero' - warning! these
commands permanently destroys the existing omero database) and
re-creating the omero4 database again and it still doesn't work, I would
check:

1) Try connecting to omero database and not just listing available
databases to double check everything is working OK:

psql -U omero -h localhost omero

output should be something like:

> psql -U omero -h localhost omero
Password for user omero:

       \h for help with SQL commands
       \? for help with psql commands
       \q to quit

omero=>

2) Make sure all output (usernames, passwords) is as expected with:

~/ome/omero-Beta4.0.0> bin/omero config get

3) Make sure that postgres is listening on tcp port 5432:

$ netstat -an | egrep '5432.*LISTEN'

should produce something similar to:

tcp   0  0 127.0.0.1:5432     0.0.0.0:*         LISTEN
tcp   0  0 ::1:5432                :::*         LISTEN

4) Have a look at your postgres HBA configuration, on SuSE linux this
file is in:

/var/lib/pgsql/data/pg_hba.conf

I had to edit the default pg_hba.conf to look like this:

host    all         all         127.0.0.1/32          md5
local   all         all                               ident sameuser
host    all         all         ::1/128               ident sameuser

As somebody pointed out in a previous post, the order of these lines are
important. The postgres also needs to be stopped and started for changes
to take effect.

Details about postgres and omero can be found here:

http://www.openmicroscopy.org/site/documents/data-management/omero4/server/postgresql

Good luck & cheers,

Chris.

Jason Swedlow wrote:
> [...]
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jason
>
> On 16 Apr 2009, at 19:34, Steve Guerrero wrote:
>
>> Hi Chris,
>>
>> Thanks for your help.  I tried logging in as root with the password I
>> assigned in the part you mentioned (in fact I have only used one
>> password for everything so far, just to simplify my testing), but no
>> luck, it still won't log in.
>>
>> I noticed there was a previous thread where someone had a similar
>> problem to mine that turned out to be a problem with their postgres
>> installation (the thread subject: "Omero Beta 4 installation problems").
>>
>> Although in my case, I only have one install of postgres, and that's
>> from a fresh install of ubuntu server, could it also be something
>> related to the db connectivity?  How might I test it?  This simple test
>> seems to be successful:
>>
>> calm at omeserver1:~/ome/omero-Beta4.0.0$ psql -h localhost -U omero -l
>> Password for user omero:
>>         List of databases
>>    Name    |  Owner   | Encoding
>> -----------+----------+----------
>>  omero     | omero    | UTF8
>>  postgres  | postgres | UTF8
>>  template0 | postgres | UTF8
>>  template1 | postgres | UTF8
>> (4 rows)
>>

>> Thanks again,
>> -sg
>>
>> Chris Roome wrote:
>>> Hi Steve,
>>>
>>> For the first time you log in to omero service after an install, try
>>> using username 'root' and the password that you set in this part of the
>>> set-up procedure:
>>>
>>> .
>>> .
>>> Please enter omero.db.version [OMERO4]:
>>> Please enter omero.db.patch [0]:
>>> Please enter password for new OMERO root user: *<use this password>*
>>> Please re-enter password for new OMERO root user: *<use this password>*
>>> Saving to /home/omero/Desktop/omero/OMERO4__0.sql
>>> .
>>> .
>>>
>>> Once logged in as user 'root' (note this is not the the same as 'root'
>>> on your ubuntu box) you can create new users (or 'scientists'),
>>>
>>> Hope this helps,
>>>
>>> Chris.

> **************************
> Wellcome Trust Centre for Gene Regulation & Expression
> College of Life Sciences
> MSI/WTB/JBC Complex
> University of Dundee
> Dow Street
> Dundee  DD1 5EH
> United Kingdom
>
> phone (01382) 385819
> Intl phone:  44 1382 385819
> FAX   (01382) 388072
> email: jason at lifesci.dundee.ac.uk <mailto:jason at lifesci.dundee.ac.uk>
>
> Lab Page: http://www.dundee.ac.uk/lifesciences/swedlow/
> Open Microscopy Environment: http://openmicroscopy.org
>
> The University of Dundee is a Scottish Registered Charity, No. SC015096.

Chris Roome              t: +49 (0)6221 486 559
IT Services
Department of Biomolecular Mechanisms
Max Planck Institute for Medical Research (MPImF)
Jahnstrasse 29
69120 Heidelberg         w: www.mpimf-heidelberg.mpg.de/english
Germany