[ome-users] Failed OMERO install on a Mac server - requesting help

Taylor, Ronald C ronald.taylor at pnl.gov
Mon Jun 21 21:38:31 BST 2010

Hello folks,

I have successfully installed OMERO on my MacBook and on my Red hat Linux desktop. I'm now trying to install OMERO on our Mac server, which is the host machine we plan to use for the medium/long term.

Our Mac server just got upgraded to Mac OS X Server 10.6, so I was using Ken's OMERO for 10.6 install instructions as my template. I copied over the appropriate subdirectories from /Library and /Library/Frameworks on my MacBook, and then made the additional changes that appeared to be required in Ken's instructions (for example, a couple Python libs that still had to be re-installed from source since they don't have separate subdirectories).

I also set the firewall using  Server --> Server Preferences --> Security --> Firewall
  to have open ports at 8000 (for OMERO.web) and at 5433 (the port I'm using for Postgres).

I then invoked Postgres. It comes up fine. I then tried invoking OMERO using
   omero admin start

That fails  - it times out after 5 minutes.

So - need help again.

I have attached a record* file that contains the screen output of the failed start, including the results of
   omero admin diagnostics  (which I have also repeated at bottom)

I have also attached all the log files in
    ../omero_dist/var/log
 except for the master.out file, which remained empty.

And I have attached my .bash_profile file for the account (/Users/rontaylor) in which I started Postgres and attempted to start OMERO.

The Blitz-0 log shows a SQL error msg which I have not seen before. Could that have anything to do with a blocked port to Postgres at the router/intranet level, something I should check out with our network people?

As before, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ronald Taylor, Ph.D.
Computational Biology & Bioinformatics Group
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
902 Battelle Boulevard
P.O. Box 999, Mail Stop J4-33
Richland, WA  99352 USA
Office:  509-372-6568
Email: ronald.taylor at pnl.gov

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Screen output:

bash-3.2$ cd /Volumes/Server HD 2/Sid

bash-3.2$ pg_ctl start -D /Postgres/Data -l /Postgres/Logs/logfile -o -i
server starting

bash-3.2$ pg_ctl status
pg_ctl: server is running (PID: 98152)
/Postgres/bin/postgres "-D" "/Postgres/Data" "-i"
bash-3.2$

bash-3.2$ omero admin start
No descriptor given. Using etc/grid/default.xml
Waiting on startup. Use CTRL-C to exit
.............................Failed to startup after 5 minutes
bash-3.2$

bash-3.2$
bash-3.2$ omero admin diagnostics

OMERO Diagnostics Beta-4.1.1-r5927-b91

Commands:   java -version                  2010      (/usr/bin/java -- 2 others)
Commands:   python -V                      2.6.1     (/usr/bin/python)
Commands:   icegridnode --version          3.3.1     (/Library/Ice/Versions/3.3.1/bin/icegridnode)
Commands:   icegridadmin --version         3.3.1     (/Library/Ice/Versions/3.3.1/bin/icegridadmin)
Commands:   psql --version                 8.3.11    (/Postgres/bin/psql)

Server:     icegridnode                    running
Server:     Blitz-0                        inactive (disabled)
Server:     DropBox                        inactive (disabled)
Server:     FSServer                       active (pid = 98199, enabled)
Server:     Indexer-0                      inactive (disabled)
Server:     OMERO.Glacier2                 active (pid = 98201, enabled)
Server:     OMERO.IceStorm                 active (pid = 98202, enabled)
Server:     Processor-0                    activating (enabled)
Server:     Tables-0                       activating (enabled)
Server:     TestDropBox                    inactive (enabled)
Server:     Web                            inactive (enabled)

Log dir:    /Library/Omero/Versions/4.1.1/omero_dist/var/log exists

Log files:  Blitz-0.log                    44.0 KB       errors=2    warnings=3
Log files:  DropBox.log                    1.0 KB        errors=2    warnings=1
Log files:  FSServer.log                   0.0 KB
Log files:  Indexer-0.log                  38.0 KB       errors=2    warnings=3
Log files:  OMEROweb.log                   n/a
Log files:  Processor-0.log                30.0 KB       errors=8    warnings=56
Log files:  Tables-0.log                   30.0 KB       errors=8    warnings=56
Log files:  TestDropBox.log                n/a
Log files:  master.err                     1.0 KB
Log files:  master.out                     0.0 KB
Log files:  Total size                     0.15 MB
bash-3.2$