[ome-users] Problems during OME installation - MOD_PERL is not working properly

Curtis Rueden ctrueden at wisc.edu
Mon Jan 26 19:01:01 GMT 2009

Hi Arnon,

Sorry for the delay in my reply; I just returned from vacation.

Actually I didn't notice that OME is no longer onder development... thank
> you for mention that.
>
> Our Lab equipped mostly with Zeiss microscopes, controlled by SlideBook
> program. I sow that the OME give a support for the necessary file format
> (*.sld). Also we interested in the option for interface with MATLAB and
> Pyton.

The OME Perl server ostensibly supports SlideBook because it can use
Bio-Formats, which supports it, but please note that the OME/Bio-Formats
interface has not been thoroughly tested.

Also we interested in the option for interface with MATLAB and Pyton.

OMERO is capable of interfacing with MATLAB and Python code:
http://trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/omero/wiki/OmeroMatlab
http://trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/omero/wiki/OmeroPy

Things are fluctuating a bit in preparation for the Beta4.0 release, but
should stabilize soon, including better documentation.

Do the OMERO support the SlideBook format ? Would you recommand using OMERO
> insteed of OME ?

Not currently. However, since Bio-Formats supports SlideBook, it is only a
matter of time until OMERO does as well -- probably some time later this
year. The problem with SlideBook is that there is virtually no documentation
available on the format, so we have reverse engineered it, but we cannot
currently make any promises of "metadata completeness" or similar.

Can I install OMERO on the same server where I started to install OME
> without format the whole OS?

Yes, no problem.

Would you suggest to wait for the release of the beta version 4.x before
> starting install OMERO?

At this point, yes, since Beta4.0 will be out within a month or so, and is a
fairly major shift from Beta3.2.

Thanks a lot for your helpful advises,  Arnon.

You're welcome.

-Curtis

On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 1:43 AM, Kinneret Lab <kinneret.lab at gmail.com>wrote:

> [...]
>>>

>>> Copying src/html/index.html to /var/www/html/index.html
>>> chmod 0644 /var/www/html/index.html
>>> chmod 0644 /var/www/html/favicon.ico
>>> Set APACHE_WEB_INCLUDE to Include /OME/conf/httpd2.web.conf
>>> Installing DAE web by copying NonblockingSlaveWorkerCGI
>>>

>>> Copying src/perl2/OME/Analysis/Engine/NonblockingSlaveWorkerCGI.pl to /OME/perl2/NonblockingSlaveWorkerCGI.pl
>>> chmod 0755 /OME/perl2/NonblockingSlaveWorkerCGI.pl
>>> chown /OME/perl2/NonblockingSlaveWorkerCGI.pl to uid: 48 gid: 501
>>>

>>> Installing OME-startup.pl
>>> Copying src/perl2/OME-startup.pl to /OME/conf/OME-startup.pl
>>> chown /OME/conf/OME-startup.pl to uid: 48 gid: 501
>>> Fixing variables in conf/httpd.ome.*.conf
>>> Replacing %OME_DIST_BASE with /home/arnon/Desktop/OME-2.6.1
>>>

>>> Replacing %OME_INSTALL_BASE with /OME
>>> Reading /OME/conf/httpd.ome.conf
>>> Writing /OME/conf/httpd.ome.conf
>>> Reading /OME/conf/httpd.omeds-dev.conf
>>> Writing /OME/conf/httpd.omeds-dev.conf
>>> Reading /OME/conf/httpd.omeds.conf
>>>

>>> Writing /OME/conf/httpd.omeds.conf
>>> Reading /OME/conf/httpd.omeis-dev.conf
>>> Writing /OME/conf/httpd.omeis-dev.conf
>>> Reading /OME/conf/httpd.omeis.conf
>>> Writing /OME/conf/httpd.omeis.conf
>>> Reading /OME/conf/httpd.web-dev.conf
>>>

>>> Writing /OME/conf/httpd.web-dev.conf
>>> Reading /OME/conf/httpd.web.conf
>>> Writing /OME/conf/httpd.web.conf
>>> Reading /OME/conf/httpd1.99.omeds-dev.conf
>>> Writing /OME/conf/httpd1.99.omeds-dev.conf
>>> Reading /OME/conf/httpd1.99.omeds.conf
>>>

>>> Writing /OME/conf/httpd1.99.omeds.conf
>>> Reading /OME/conf/httpd1.99.omeis-dev.conf
>>> Writing /OME/conf/httpd1.99.omeis-dev.conf
>>> Reading /OME/conf/httpd1.99.omeis.conf
>>> Writing /OME/conf/httpd1.99.omeis.conf
>>> Reading /OME/conf/httpd1.99.web-dev.conf
>>>

>>> Writing /OME/conf/httpd1.99.web-dev.conf
>>> Reading /OME/conf/httpd1.99.web.conf
>>> Writing /OME/conf/httpd1.99.web.conf
>>> Reading /OME/conf/httpd2.omeds-dev.conf
>>> Writing /OME/conf/httpd2.omeds-dev.conf
>>> Reading /OME/conf/httpd2.omeds.conf
>>>

>>> Writing /OME/conf/httpd2.omeds.conf
>>> Reading /OME/conf/httpd2.omeis-dev.conf
>>> Writing /OME/conf/httpd2.omeis-dev.conf
>>> Reading /OME/conf/httpd2.omeis.conf
>>> Writing /OME/conf/httpd2.omeis.conf
>>> Reading /OME/conf/httpd2.web-dev.conf
>>>

>>> Writing /OME/conf/httpd2.web-dev.conf
>>> Reading /OME/conf/httpd2.web.conf
>>> Writing /OME/conf/httpd2.web.conf
>>> Reading /OME/conf/httpd.ome.conf
>>> Writing /OME/conf/httpd.ome.conf
>>> Restarting Apache
>>> Executing /usr/sbin/apachectl restart
>>>

>>> Getting an OME::Util::cURL user agent
>>> Generated mod_perl test script:
>>> #!/usr/bin/perl -w
>>> use strict;
>>> use CGI qw/-no_xhtml/;
>>>
>>> my $CGI = CGI->new();
>>> print $CGI->header(-type => 'text/plain'),
>>>

>>> my ($key,$value);
>>> while ( ($key, $value) = each %ENV)
>>> {
>>>         print "$key = $value\n";
>>> }
>>>

>>> 1;
>>>
>>> Writing script to /OME/perl2/mod_perl_test.pl

>>> SERVER_ADMIN = root at localhost
>>> HTTP_ACCEPT_ENCODING = gzip,deflate
>>> HTTP_CONNECTION = keep-alive
>>> REQUEST_METHOD = GET
>>> HTTP_ACCEPT = text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,*/*;q=0.8
>>>

>>> SCRIPT_FILENAME = /OME/perl2/mod_perl_test.pl
>>> SERVER_SOFTWARE = Apache/2.2.3 (CentOS)
>>> HTTP_ACCEPT_CHARSET = ISO-8859-1,utf-8;q=0.7,*;q=0.7
>>> QUERY_STRING =
>>> REMOTE_PORT = 39160
>>> HTTP_USER_AGENT = Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; en-US; rv:1.9.0.5) Gecko/2008121911 CentOS/3.0.5-1.el5.centos Firefox/3.0.5
>>>

>>> SERVER_PORT = 80
>>> SERVER_SIGNATURE = <address>Apache/2.2.3 (CentOS) Server at localhost Port 80</address>
>>>
>>> HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE = en-us,en;q=0.5
>>> REMOTE_ADDR = 127.0.0.1
>>> HTTP_KEEP_ALIVE = 300
>>>

>>> SERVER_PROTOCOL = HTTP/1.1
>>>
>>> MOD_PERL_API_VERSION = 2
>>> PATH = /usr/bin/:/usr/local/bin/:/sw/bin/
>>> REQUEST_URI = /perl2/mod_perl_test.pl
>>> GATEWAY_INTERFACE = CGI/1.1
>>> SERVER_ADDR = 127.0.0.1
>>> DOCUMENT_ROOT = /var/www/html