[ome-users] NumberFormatException import .zvi file

Jason Swedlow jason at lifesci.dundee.ac.uk
Wed Sep 24 23:55:20 BST 2008

Hi Susan-

On 24 Sep 2008, at 21:54, Curtis Rueden wrote:

> Hi Susan,
>
> I downloaded the latest trunk build of the loci_tools.jar and
> placed it in the plugins folder and re-ran ImageJ.  The LOCI
> Bioformats Importer gives the same error on that zvi file that
> OMERO.insight does.
>
> Strange; I checked the source code and it should not be generating
> this error. Would you be willing to send us the problematic file
> for us to use for debugging? Once we have the problem solved in Bio-
> Formats, the next version of OMERO.importer will also incorporate
> the fix -- or I can provide you with instructions on how to update
> your existing version of OMERO.importer if you like.

Can you let us know which version of Zeiss software produced the
file.  We test .zvi files before every release, but our testing is
only as good and as up-to-date as our test files, so knowing which
versions are giving us problems is very helpful.

Thanks!

Cheers,

Jason

> [...]
>
> I downloaded the latest trunk build of the loci_tools.jar and
> placed it in the plugins folder and re-ran ImageJ.  The LOCI
> Bioformats Importer gives the same error on that zvi file that
> OMERO.insight does.
>
> Susan
>
> On Sep 24, 2008, at 2:20 PM, Curtis Rueden wrote:
>
>> Hi Susan,
>>
>> That exception looks like a bug in Bio-Formats to me. Are you able
>> to import the ZVI file into ImageJ using the Bio-Formats Importer
>> plugin (http://www.loci.wisc.edu/ome/formats-imagej.html) with the
>> latest trunk build (http://www.loci.wisc.edu/ome/formats-
>> download.html)?
>>
>> -Curtis
>>
>> On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 3:09 PM, Susan Wilson
>> <smwilson at hpc.unm.edu> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Runniing Beta3.0.1 all around.  This is the error I get when I
>> attempt
>> to import a .zvi file:
>>
>> java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: "9/17/2008 7:05:39
>> PM"
>>        at
>> java
>> .lang.NumberFormatException.forInputString
>> (NumberFormatException.java:
>> 48)
>>        at java.lang.Long.parseLong(Long.java:412)
>>        at java.lang.Long.parseLong(Long.java:461)
>>        at loci.formats.in.ZeissZVIReader.initMetadata
>> (ZeissZVIReader.java:623)
>>        at loci.formats.in.ZeissZVIReader.initFile
>> (ZeissZVIReader.java:513)
>>        at loci.formats.FormatReader.setId(FormatReader.java:216)
>>        at loci.formats.ImageReader.setId(ImageReader.java:565)
>>        at loci.formats.ReaderWrapper.setId(ReaderWrapper.java:71)
>>        at loci.formats.ChannelFiller.setId(ChannelFiller.java:186)
>>        at loci.formats.ReaderWrapper.setId(ReaderWrapper.java:71)
>>        at loci.formats.ChannelSeparator.setId
>> (ChannelSeparator.java:61)
>>        at loci.formats.ReaderWrapper.setId(ReaderWrapper.java:71)
>>        at ome.formats.importer.ImportLibrary.open
>> (ImportLibrary.java:181)
>>        at ome.formats.importer.ImportLibrary.importImage
>> (ImportLibrary.java:
>> 355)
>>        at ome.formats.importer.ImportHandler.importImages
>> (ImportHandler.java:
>> 172)
>>        at ome.formats.importer.ImportHandler.access$0
>> (ImportHandler.java:106)
>>        at ome.formats.importer.ImportHandler$1.run
>> (ImportHandler.java:87)
>>
>> Also, I may be crazy, but the documentation for OMERO.insight does
>> not
>> match what I am seeing.  This error is on my MAC to OMERO.server on
>> debian.  I downloaded and ran both (linux) importer and insight on
>> the
>> localhost debian host and got the same importer error and the same
>> insight application.  Help/About shows Beta3.0.1, which is the server
>> I am running, but insight has no categories, no "Browse Button"...
>> And importer won't import the zvi on either platform.

**************************
Wellcome Trust Centre for Gene Regulation & Expression
College of Life Sciences
MSI/WTB/JBC Complex
University of Dundee
Dow Street