[ome-users] OMERO versions

Jason Swedlow jason at lifesci.dundee.ac.uk
Thu Feb 28 10:49:34 GMT 2008

Hi All-

On 28 Feb 2008, at 09:47, josh.moore at gmx.de wrote:

> (CCing list on reply)
>
> Mikhail Kovtun writes:
>> Josh,
>>
>> As I understood from your reply, the version in the trunk is
>> workable --
>> in this case, I would like to try it. (Does "yellow" mean that
>> there is
>> no syntax errors but some tests fail?)
>
> Exactly. Yellow means that there are failing tests, which at the
> moment is no surprise since we are waiting on a new server for our
> integration tests.
>
>> What do you think is better -- do build myself or download binaries?
>> (Are binaries in
>> http://warlock.openmicroscopy.org.uk:5555/job/OMERO/ws/trunk/dist ?)
>
> The binaries are now zipped and archived by Hudson. See
> http://warlock.openmicroscopy.org.uk:5555/job/OMERO/
> lastSuccessfulBuild/

I'll just reiterate one point (and then reiterate it again below)--
on the OMERO project, we really place a huge emphasis on testing, and
docs.  We are not perfect-- by a along shot.  TRUNK is there for you
to work with, but please realise you are working with tools we are
still testing.  We never warrant anything anyway, but you're living
dangerously (we don;t let our users, or their precious data, anywhere
near TRUNK code til after a code freeze and significant testing).
Moreover, we can't guarantee that we'll fix anything immediately
that's in TRUNK-- we've got alot to work on.  We're REALLY excited
about the facilities going into Beta3, and can understand why you
are.  Just realise you are on the really dripping bleeding edge. We
appreciate any and all feedback and we will try to support your needs.

>> I would prefer to do build myself -- it gives me more flexibility in
>> rolling back changes and more possibilities to learn OMERO code.
>> Do you
>> have any document describing build process (what components should be
>> installed on the system, what environmental variables should be
>> set, etc.)?
>
> Sure. See
> https://trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/omero/wiki/OmeroContributing
> for information on building from source.
>
>> Who is the best person to address questions regarding OMERO.Editor?
>> After playing a bit with it, I have a number of questions and
>> comments.
>
> Mikhail meet Will Moore. Will meet Mikhail.

OMERO.editor is nearing release, but we're still testing and
gathering user evaluations internally.  Please do email any comments to:

Will Moore, (will at lifesci.dundee.ac.uk)
Scott Loynton (scottloynton at computing.dundee.ac.uk)

>> josh.moore at gmx.de wrote:
>>> Hi Mikhail,

>>> Yes. They are both available in the server in trunk.

>>> That's a question for the others.

OK, over to me.  In Beta3, we are adding alot of new functionality.
We are scheduling April 15 for a code freeze.  After that we will
enter 6 fun-filled weeks of internal testing with our users, driven
by our Usable Image team (http://www.usableimage.org), docs and
screencast video generation, and packaging.  We've learned the hard
way that all this stuff takes time, and must not be neglected.
Expect solidification by April 15, packaged releases by June 1.  Yep,
testing, especially iterative user testing,  takes time.

>>> One possible use case is that the output of the editor -- the
>>> protocol
>>> -- can be used to _annotate_ any of number of types (Image, Dataset,
>>> Project, Pixels,...) and then a user could use _search_ to find
>>> those
>>> Images, Datasets, etc. via the contents of the protocols. But,
>>> that's
>>> really just the beginning.

What is the role?  OMERO.Editor is a user-centered, standalone tool
for managing protocols.  It's quite simple to use, and can currently
do some quite simple things-- just manage my protocols and
experimental steps, and increasingly some more interesting things:
-- define a template for experimental logging
-- incorporate external specifications (i.e., OME-XML)
-- provide a window into specific ontology terms.
-- enable indexed search through all protocols

See the very nice page Will has made:  http://
trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/shoola/wiki/OmeroEditor (don't miss the
movie!)

We'd appreciate any and all feedback.

And yes, integration into OMERO is coming-- we are looking at ways to
do that.  Probably not in Beta3, sorry. But soon thereafter.  We know
we have to do it, we just want to do it correctly.  We're also very
excited about collaborating with the NCBO team, fusing Phenote and
OMERO.Editor (formally named ProtocolEditor; see http://
www.bioontology.org/wiki/index.php/Phenote:Main_Page).

>>> Yes. Trunk is currently set for 3.0-Beta3. Though it's currently
>>> pretty actively developed, it should be possible to build it and try
>>> out the latest functionality. Take a look at:
>>>
>>> http://warlock.openmicroscopy.org.uk:5555/job/OMERO/
>>>
>>> which shows the current build status of the system.

Enjoy!

As always, thanks for your support.

Cheers,

Jason

**************************
Wellcome Trust Centre for Gene Regulation & Expression
College of Life Sciences
MSI/WTB/JBC Complex
University of Dundee
Dow Street