[ome-users] Windows OMERO Importer Connection Error

Brian Loranger brian.loranger at lifesci.dundee.ac.uk
Mon Aug 25 17:32:31 BST 2008

Hi Peter,

Yep I know exactly what that is! *g*

It's a problem with permissions basically. The importer has a local
history database located in the user's home directly <look in ~/omero/
 > and the user account needs to be able to get an "exclusive lock"
on one of the files in that folder. There's a few ways to fix the
problem.

First of all make sure there isn't an old history300.lck file in your
user's omero folder, its possible that one was created and not
deleted somehow.

If that doesn't work, try one if these options:

1. Wait for the new release. I have a fix for this problem due out
very shortly - should be available in a week or two
2. Make sure the users permissions allow them to get an exclusive
lock on the files in their home directly
3. If neither of those options are possible, (and you're on a linux
or macintosh system), you can temporarily work around this problem by
creating a symbolic link in the user's directory which points to a
location they do have permissions to. For example:

    cd ~
    mkdir /tmp/omero
    ln -s /tmp/omero omero

Using 'tmp/omero'  for the omero folder isn't by any means an ideal
situation as there's no guarantee the user's history (and other omero
preferences) will be maintained between reboots, but it will get you
up and running until the fix is out. Just remember that if you *do*
plan on using a symbolic link delete it once the new version comes out!

I hope that helps, let me know if you need any further help.

Cheers,

Brian Loranger
Software Developer, Open Microscopy Environment
Division of Gene Regulation and Expression
University of Dundee