[ome-users] OMERO Windows installation

josh.moore at gmx.de josh.moore at gmx.de
Wed Aug 20 08:58:46 BST 2008

Peter McKenney writes:
 > We are very interested in trying OMERO to archive our images.  I have
 > been able to get the server up and running.  But I am having the same
 > problem that other's have had in trying to connect to the server.
 > After reading through the list archive, I still have not been able to
 > get it right.
 >
 > All I want to do for now is connect to the server using insight or
 > importer from the same computer on which the server is running.
 >
 > I have tried various combinations of IP addresses and host names in
 > the C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC: Hosts file.
 >
 > Should the Hosts file look like this?:
 >
 > >>127.0.0.1                      localhost
 > >>Our PC's IP address      Our Computer's name (From the system properties window).
 >
 > Sorry for the beginner-level question.

Though Chris is our expert on all of this, I'm going to take a swing
at it before he gets in. I'm also going to assume your system is
installed according to:

https://trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/omero/wiki/OmeroInstallWindows

but let me know if it differs anywhere.

You say that you have got the server running, does that mean you can
see http://localhost:8080/WebAdmin/ (the web-administrator). If not,
can you send us your server logs:

 c:\omero-3.0-Beta3\omero\jboss-4.2.1.GA\server\default\logs\server.log

If so, how did you try to login from the client? Could you login with
the same username/password (and "localhost") that worked for WebAdmin?
If using the same login as for WebAdmin doesn't work, can you send us
the client logs?

 c:\Documents and Settings\<your directory>\omero\log\omeroinsight.txt

for example, if you were using insight to test.

Cheers,
~Josh.