[ome-users] 2GB image file size limit in 32-bit OME ?

Othmar Korn o.korn at griffith.edu.au
Thu Sep 27 09:14:30 BST 2007

Greetings all,

I'm hoping someone can answer a couple of questions for me in regards to
maximum supported image file sizes for OME in 32-bit systems.

1. The page here:
http://www.openmicroscopy.org.uk/api/omeis/limitations.html  says that
2GB+ images are not "handled correctly" in 32-bit systems.. is that
correct?  What does that actually mean, in practical terms?

2. If I'm forced to use a 32-bit system, any ideas on how I might go about
importing existing images that are larger than 2GB?  I'm hoping there's a
solution that doesn't involve going back and splitting image stacks
manually.

Many thanks,
Othmar