[ome-users] access problems

Ilya Goldberg igg at nih.gov
Thu Sep 13 15:58:12 BST 2007

Hi Bernd
This probably doesn't have to do with access rights.
The *.info file was apparently successfully opened, and the header
information successfully read.  The "Incompatible file type" error is
reported when omeis doesn't recognize what it reads in the header.
The problem probably stemmed from the move to a different file-system
and/or a different machine architecture running the omeis binary.
Where did your OMEIS repository start from and where did it end up
(hardware/OS+Version/OME version)?  What program/commands did you use
to move the repository?  Did the omeis binary move to a different
machine as well sometime between having it running and having it not
running?

One thing that's probably worth doing with your shared-repository
setup is to run:
src/C/omeis/t/test-concurrent-write
This test doesn't require an internet connection, or any special
users - you can run it as any user.
You need to first create OMEIS-TEST, OMEIS-TEST/Pixels and OMEIS-TEST/
Files directories in the same directory where the test-concurrent-
write executable lives (you can put it wherever you want).  You
should run this test locally on your omeis host (the computer that
has the omeis binary in its cgi-bin).
This test will generally fail if the NFS implementation does not
properly support POSIX file locking, which is fairly common in NFS
implementations, unfortunately.  This test is most informative when
run on multi-core/multi-CPU machines.

Instead of mounting a shared drive, its a much better setup to run
the omeis binary locally on the machine connected to your drives/
RAID.  This machine doesn't need any other pieces of OME - just the
omeis binary in its cgi-bin, as well as the actual OMEIS repository
of course.

-Ilya