[ome-users] /Library/StartupItems/PostgreSQL permissions

Stephen Ogg stephen at cmm.a-star.edu.sg
Fri Sep 8 11:13:09 BST 2006

OME team-

I installed OME successfully yesterday onto a mac 10.4.7. The OME
installer created a folder in my Startup items folder to start the
PostgreSQL database each time I start my computer. But the OS won't
run anything in that folder unless the owner/group & permissions are
correct (owner must be root, group wheel and permissions 0755).
Somehow the PostgreSQL folder that was created had its permissions
set to: "drwxrwxr-x" when it was made by the installer (both files
within that folder were set to the corrrect permissions 0755). The
upshot was that after installation, the database was fine and I could
import images. Upon restart, PostgreSQL refused to start-due to OS X
restriction on startup items. I changed the permissions on that
folder and now everything seems fine. Images import, spots are
identified and tracked, but I wanted to make sure that I haven't
screwed things up from some other angle as permissions can be tricky
sometimes.

Thanks for your help
Steve

Dr. Stephen Ogg