[ome-users] Assign Instrument

Jason Swedlow jason at lifesci.dundee.ac.uk
Sat Oct 22 00:06:29 BST 2005

Hi Olivier-

Thanks for your email, and my apologies for not responding earlier.

In fact, this is a critical use case, and one that is quite general.
We applied for funding earlier this year to support two developers to
do this work from the BBSRC.  Thankfully this project was funded and
so we are now hiring two developers to do this.  This is is
collaboration with Suzi Lewis and others in the US, so in fact the
team working on this will be larger.

So, the bad news-- you can't do it today.

Good news-- it is on the road map, and we are actively working on
supporting this, and significantly upgrading our metadata handling to
include the experimental description, acquisition system etc.  We
also want to include annotation of large sets of images (like you,
and we collect) such that a single metadata spec are propagated
across an experiment.

If you want to discuss more off-line, let me know.  We will be
looking for testing sites.  Obviously, we have our own use cases we
are basing this on, but if you are willing to write up
exactly what you want, we will use this as well.

Many thanks for your help.  Again, sorry for not responding sooner.

Cheers,

Jason

On 21 Oct 2005, at 04:50, Olivier Renaud wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I come back to you because I didn't get any answer to two of my
> questions in a previous email.
> My question concern the way to assign the same Instrument,
> Objective etc... to a serie of images. Now, I have to do it
> individually for each picture. The way I am working with OME is the
> following. I acquire stacks of pictures with my favorite microscope
> (in general acquisition is for half a day). I am acquiring a lot of
> data. Then, I import these data to OME. But it's really important
> to attach to each dataset the way I did the acquisition (microscope
> type, objective etc). In general all the data that I acquired
> during one session has been taken using the same Instrument (most
> of the time the same objective too). So it would be very usefull to
> be able to assign the same Instrument to several dataset (without
> doing it individually). Is it actually possible? Do you plan to
> develop this?
>
> My second question is: Is there any way to add information to an
> Instrument after the creation? When I create an Instrument I have
> to fill a form (magnification, NA etc), but sometimes I don't have
> all the information right now. So I would like to call back the
> instrument and fill the missing information (for example the Serial
> Number). Is it possible?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Olivier
>
> --