[ome-users] OME version information

Graham Klyne Graham.Klyne at zoo.ox.ac.uk
Fri Jul 8 13:39:51 BST 2005

At 13:05 08/07/05 +0100, Chris Allan wrote:
> > ...  Please, please, please, can you at least incorporate the version
> > number into the distribution archive file names?
>
>It is.
>
>http://cvs.openmicroscopy.org.uk/snapshots/ome-2.4.0.tar.gz
>
>http://cvs.openmicroscopy.org.uk/snapshots/stable.tar.gz is a
>convenience for those who just want the latest stable version.

OK.  It's not clear to me how I should know that.  I accessed the download
by the following route:
   http://www.openmicroscopy.org/
   - select Download OME
   http://cvs.openmicroscopy.org.uk/
   - select "Server infrastructure and web interface: 2.4.0 March 7, 2005"
   http://cvs.openmicroscopy.org.uk/snapshots/stable.tar.gz
which seems pretty direct and logical to me.

Suggest:
(a) the web page link that explicitly mentions version 2.4.0 actually links
to the specified version, and/or:
(b) the reference to stable.tar.gz is routed by means of an HTTP redirect
so that the browser URI and default filename for download use the
version-qualified name.

>You can always check the version by looking at src/perl2/OME.pm.

OK, but again I'm not sure how I would know that.

Suggest any or all of:
(a) add a note to the top-level README saying how to find the version number.
(b) arrange for install.pl to display the version number (from OME.pm) at
the start of the installation, and again when reporting a failure
(c) [maybe...] create a file version.pl or version.txt or similar in the
top-level directory which can be referenced by other modules that access
the version number.

#g

---
Graham Klyne
Image Bioinformatics Research Group (http://www.bioimage.org/)
Department of Zoology, University of Oxford
South Parks Road, Oxford OX1 3PS, UK
E-mail: <Graham.Klyne at zoo.ox.ac.uk>
Direct phone: +44-(0)1865-281991
Departmental fax: +44-(0)1865-310447