[ome-users] OME installation, Apache configuration problem

Chris Allan callan at blackcat.ca
Fri Jul 8 13:05:58 BST 2005

On Fri, Jul 08, 2005 at 11:29:09AM +0100, Graham Klyne wrote:
> Chris,

Hi Graham.

> Thanks for asking the Right Question...
>
> At 11:00 08/07/05 +0100, Chris Allan wrote:
> >http://lists.openmicroscopy.org.uk/pipermail/ome-devel/2004-November/000212.html
> >
> >Graham: What version of OME are you trying to install?
>
> It's a version I downloaded recently from the OpenMicroscopy site,
> purportedly 2.4.0, March 2005:
>   http://cvs.openmicroscopy.org.uk/snapshots/stable.tar.gz
>
> I say "purportedly" because I did look into the kit itself to look for
> clues about its version details when I was reporting my problem, but
> couldn't find any.  I think it would be helpful if the root directory of
> the distribution kit contained a clear indication of its version number and
> release date.
>
> Having said that, I just did an "ls -al" on the installation files, and
> notice that they are all dated 2004 :-(
>
> AAARGH!  I've just re-checked the archive file I downloaded, and it has a
> different date for the Install.pl file.  Somewhere along the line I have
> managed to mix up the distribution archive files.  I've no idea how I
> managed that, since I'm installing to a newly installed Linux
> system.  Please, please, please, can you at least incorporate the version
> number into the distribution archive file names?

It is.

http://cvs.openmicroscopy.org.uk/snapshots/ome-2.4.0.tar.gz

http://cvs.openmicroscopy.org.uk/snapshots/stable.tar.gz is a
convenience for those who just want the latest stable version.

You can always check the version by looking at src/perl2/OME.pm.

> Back to square 1.
>
> Now that I'm in feedback mode, I just tried some pre-installation checks
> with the current kit, and got these errors:
> [[
> [root at delos OME]# ls -al install.pl
> -rwxr-xr-x  1 1002 users 8382 Jan 27 17:27 install.pl
> [root at delos OME]# perl install.pl -a
> Unable to restore the installation environemnt from file at install.pl line
> 203.
> [root at delos OME]# perl install.pl -c
> Unable to restore the installation environemnt from file at install.pl line
> 203.
> ]]

You can't do those checks until you've installed.

> Installing the latest OME kit, having first deleted the old kit and /OME
> directory contents, and *commented out* the old OME configuration line in
> /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf, I got an HTTP 404 error response from the Perl
> CGI test.  Reinstating the old OME configuration line, the test runs
> fine.  This suggests to me that the logic used to determine if the
> httpd.conf file needs updating is flawed.

Sounds like it doesn't pick up lines that have been commented out. Can
you submit a bug report for this?

http://bugs.openmicroscopy.org.uk/

> I have just succeeded in completing the OME installation script.

Great!

> #g

Ciao.

-Chris