[ome-users] OME installation, Apache configuration problem

Graham Klyne Graham.Klyne at zoo.ox.ac.uk
Fri Jul 8 11:29:09 BST 2005

Chris,

Thanks for asking the Right Question...

At 11:00 08/07/05 +0100, Chris Allan wrote:
>http://lists.openmicroscopy.org.uk/pipermail/ome-devel/2004-November/000212.html
>
>Graham: What version of OME are you trying to install?

It's a version I downloaded recently from the OpenMicroscopy site,
purportedly 2.4.0, March 2005:
   http://cvs.openmicroscopy.org.uk/snapshots/stable.tar.gz

I say "purportedly" because I did look into the kit itself to look for
clues about its version details when I was reporting my problem, but
couldn't find any.  I think it would be helpful if the root directory of
the distribution kit contained a clear indication of its version number and
release date.

Having said that, I just did an "ls -al" on the installation files, and
notice that they are all dated 2004 :-(

AAARGH!  I've just re-checked the archive file I downloaded, and it has a
different date for the Install.pl file.  Somewhere along the line I have
managed to mix up the distribution archive files.  I've no idea how I
managed that, since I'm installing to a newly installed Linux
system.  Please, please, please, can you at least incorporate the version
number into the distribution archive file names?

Back to square 1.

Now that I'm in feedback mode, I just tried some pre-installation checks
with the current kit, and got these errors:
[[
[root at delos OME]# ls -al install.pl
-rwxr-xr-x  1 1002 users 8382 Jan 27 17:27 install.pl
[root at delos OME]# perl install.pl -a
Unable to restore the installation environemnt from file at install.pl line
203.
[root at delos OME]# perl install.pl -c
Unable to restore the installation environemnt from file at install.pl line
203.
]]

Installing the latest OME kit, having first deleted the old kit and /OME
directory contents, and *commented out* the old OME configuration line in
/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf, I got an HTTP 404 error response from the Perl
CGI test.  Reinstating the old OME configuration line, the test runs
fine.  This suggests to me that the logic used to determine if the
httpd.conf file needs updating is flawed.

I have just succeeded in completing the OME installation script.

#g

---
Graham Klyne
Image Bioinformatics Research Group (http://www.bioimage.org/)
Department of Zoology, University of Oxford
South Parks Road, Oxford OX1 3PS, UK
E-mail: <Graham.Klyne at zoo.ox.ac.uk>
Direct phone: +44-(0)1865-281991
Departmental fax: +44-(0)1865-310447