[ome-devel] CLI render - and a philosophic question re: rendering settings

Jean-Marie Burel (Staff) j.burel at dundee.ac.uk
Thu Aug 17 19:59:16 BST 2017

On 11/08/2017 16:32, "ome-devel on behalf of Josh Moore"
<ome-devel-bounces at lists.openmicroscopy.org.uk on behalf of
josh at glencoesoftware.com> wrote:

> [...]
>

>> I'm finally gearing up to upgrade to 5.3.3 for all its great new
>> capabilities and was trying some stuff on my 5.3.3 test server. One of
>>those
>> was the render.py script that, per below, wasn't really usable in
>>vanilla
>> 5.2.x. Unfortunately I get the exact same exceptions with 5.3.3
>
>i.e. you're getting the "getWindowMin" error when running `info` and
>"no attribute '_closeRE" on `copy`?
>

>> so I guess I should wait for 5.4?
>
>I don't know of any of these issues having been fixed in 5.4, so not
>particularly.
>

>Or is the situation with 5.3 more solvable?
>
>Perhaps, but I don't think so.
>

>> Now the philosophical question: as in IDR, we have a very large image
>> dataset that we are quantitatively analyzing and also want to show
>>visually.
>> This is part of a large project to asses the effects of a set of
>>perturbing
>> agents (perturbagens) on a panel cell lines, where in our case a large
>>panel
>> of different microenvironment components and drugs are used as the
>> perturbagens. During import into OMERO each image gets its rendering
>> settings from the min/max values in the image itself so all images have
>> different settings and the unsuspecting viewer may see all kinds of
>> interesting intensity effects that are mostly fake while real effects
>>may be
>> masked. So I'm looking for a general way to set the rendering settings
>> across the entire experiment to something that allows comparing images
>>but
>> doesn't generate loads of black and over-exposed-looking images. I was
>> thinking that you guys encountered this same issue with many of the IDR
>> datasets so was hoping for some wise thoughts.
>
>We definitely do but per study, and typically we can only define that
>after visual inspection since they are external datasets. You're
>looking to set something *before import*?
>

>> Anyway, this is why I'm so interested in the render.py utility and thus
>>my
>> hope it will make it to production-level soon.
>
>I don't have a timeline for you on the production status of render.py,
>but what we *would* like to do for 5.4 is make it separately
>installable, so that you can upgrade just render.py as we releases
>fixes without needing to update all of OMERO.
>

>> One thought to be able to display the larger dynamic range needed for
>>the
>> above (and which is not really possible with the current linear scaling
>> between min and max values), is the idea of supporting non-linear
>>colormaps
>> for the rendering. I saw some mentions of a CodomainMap in the
>> RenderingEngine docs. Would that be a future way to support non-linear
>>scale
>> transforms such as gamma curves and such?
>
>I'll leave that for Dr. Burel on his return.

Sorry for the slow reply. I was off sick for few days
No linear transforms are supported by the rendering engine e.g. Log,
Exponential, polynomial
The features were never exposed in the web viewer, only insight
We are planning to expose them in iviewer

Cheers

Jmarie