[ome-devel] Trouble with OMERO.Dropbox

Niko Ehrenfeuchter nikolaus.ehrenfeuchter at unibas.ch
Thu Feb 12 08:25:21 GMT 2015

Hi Colin,

On 06.02.2015 11:08, Colin Blackburn wrote:
> Hi Niko,
>
>> Hum, I thought more of something at OS level for configuring
>> inotify itself.
>
> Yes, but at the present time any configuration there is, is only
> available to us through the Python bindings. I will, though, look
> into this further.

I did a little research by myself, alas, I couldn't find much in this
direction. So I'd definitely be interested in your findings - especially
as I'm using inotify myself in another project.

>> Regarding the Python bindings, are you aware of the following?
>>
>> *
>> http://www.serpentine.com/blog/2008/01/04/why-you-should-not-use-pyinotify/
>> (particularly interesting regarding performance is also the last
>> comment) * https://bitbucket.org/bos/python-inotify (original
>> repo) * https://bitbucket.org/JanKanis/python-inotify/ (more recent
>> fork)
>>
>> There are a couple of additional forks of the latter, whereof the
>> only one containing significant changes is the "poupas" one.
>
> Yes, at the time we adopted pyinotify it was done for pragmatic
> reasons. We’ll certainly look at whether we can somehow allow for
> other bindings to the notification system to be used in the future.

Nice! Again, I'm always interested in your insights there.

> More generally, I’m investigating the problem you are seeing on one
> of our systems here. I’ll get back to you about that as soon as I
> can.

Great :)

I'll try to find some time to figure out a reliable way to reproduce the
super-high load on our OMERO when using DropBox. I did have the
impression that it's worse with some file formats (e.g. the LIF from the
logs) compared to others. But right now this is only a gut feeling, so
please don't rely on this.

Cheers & thanks again!
Niko