[ome-devel] An attempt to define the problem more clearly(Localization Microscopy)

Seamus Holden seamus.holden at gmail.com
Mon Aug 24 11:38:42 BST 2015

Hi Ian

I should stress that although these comments are a bit negative I mean them
only in a constructive fashion, and I am completely happy to be
contradicted!

There are already a couple of rendering tools available - mainly PALMsiever
(which I helped develop, open source), ThunderSTORM (open-source) and VisP
(closed source). Being academic software, all of them are a bit buggy, and
slowly updated, but essentially, the rendering bit is a (largely) solved
problem, software wise. And regards the bugs/ missing features - I would
suggest rather than develop new software, just ask for commit rights on
PALMsiever or ThunderSTORM - they are both on GitHub!

The common localization format is on the other hand still an unsolved
problem.The nicest point to my mind about focussing just on this aspect is
that it's a small(-ish), well defined problem, which it would be quite
useful to solve.

Best wishes
Seamus

Dr Seamus Holden