[ome-devel] Error building Bio-Formats develop

Roger Leigh rleigh at dundee.ac.uk
Wed May 1 09:41:28 BST 2013

On 01/05/13 04:27, Curtis Rueden wrote:

> I dug through the commit history a bit and see that the Genshi egg was
> removed in favor of it being located in the lib/repository folder off
> the root. But such a folder does not exist in source control. I presume
> it gets generated at some point? How does that happen? Should resolution
> of that dependency be part of the Ant build itself?

It just needs installing.  "apt-get install python-genshi" or "pip
install genshi", for example.

> Also, do you think the latest build changes will still always result in
> reproducible builds? While the BF Ant build system has many downsides,
> reproducible builds was previously one of its strengths.

Which change, the xsd-fu source generation?  If so, the build is
completely identical--the sources which get generated on the fly from
the templates by xsd-fu are identical bar a few lines comments in the
top  boilerplate.  The generated sources may change if

· the specification in use is switched
· the templates get updated
· xsd-fu or fu.py get updated

Since any changes to the above won't result in the generated source
changes showing up directly in a diff, we will need to manually diff the
generated-sources directories to review the resulting changes.  So long
as we're aware of the implications of any changes to the above, this
shouldn't cause problems.

Regards,
Roger