[ome-devel] import into Omero server fails

Chris Allan callan at lifesci.dundee.ac.uk
Thu Sep 16 10:10:58 BST 2010

Hi Peter,

There are a few issues at play here:

1) A bug in Bio-Formats 4.2.0 with certain types of Light Source handling in OME-XML and OME-TIFF files. If you're interested the overarching ticket is here:

http://trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/omero/ticket/2757

2) A lack of correct OTF handling in OMERO 4.2.0. Again if you're interested the OTF ticket is here:

http://trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/omero/ticket/2830

3) Incorrect Experiment type populated in the max-sample-2008-02.ome example.

Both (1) and (2) have been fixed and (3) will be rectified as soon as possible. What this means for the import of your TILL OME-TIFF files is that in order to do so you must upgrade your server and OMERO.importer to the latest available on the Beta 4.2.x branch. The downloads are available here:

http://hudson.openmicroscopy.org.uk/view/Beta4.2/job/OMERO-Beta4.2/23/

The OMERO.importer upgrade is quite obvious, just grab the build for your particular platform. The server upgrade is slightly more tricky but the general upgrade preparations from the following apply:

http://www.openmicroscopy.org/site/support/omero4/server/upgrade

Once you have prepared (done a database backup, etc.) you should be able to follow the following loose procedure:

OMERO_DIR/bin/omero admin stop
cp OMERO_DIR/etc/grid/config.xml NEW_OMERO_DIR/etc/grid/
cp var/lib/custom_settings.py NEW_OMERO_DIR/var/lib/
NEW_OMERO_DIR/bin/omero web syncmedia
NEW_OMERO_DIR/bin/omero admin start

Let us know if anything is unclear or you have any problems.

-Chris