[ome-devel] loci_tools.jar 1280+ series limit?

Curtis Rueden ctrueden at wisc.edu
Mon Jul 19 22:49:02 BST 2010

Hi Rubén,

Sorry for the long delay in my reply. We were struggling to get Bio-Formats
4.2 out the door, as you know.

Nice to hear from you. We currently find bio-formats more useful and our
> next goal is to collaborate with Leica and use Bio-Formats to make their
> latest OME.TIF incorporate SPW features. There are special interests in
> that.

Sounds good.

About a multi-fie OME.TIF export: Have code as an ImageJ Macro. May be
> useful to you just let me know.

If your macro is working for you, great. The eventual goal is to update the
Bio-Formats Exporter plugin to support multi-file OME-TIFF export, but it is
not an urgent priority for us.

I understand that the bug "#493 Series beyond 456 do not appear in ImageJ
> plugin" should go, but the SeriesDialog is only useful for smaller sets.
> Could one type the series manually? When using  run("Bio-Formats Importer",
> "...  series_1"); it still instantiates a SeriesDialog but doesn't show it
> before the exception.

Right. At the moment, the BF.openImagePlus call plow through all the ImageJ
GenericDialog instantiations—sorry to hear that causes a problem for you. In
theory, it is unnecessary to do so; see this note in the code:

http://www.loci.wisc.edu/trac/java/browser/tags/loci-tools-4.2.0/components/loci-plugins/src/loci/plugins/BF.java#L80

However, it has not been well tested to comment out the use of
ImporterPrompter. But feel free to give it a shot with your many-series data
and let us know how it goes. :-)

Let's keep in touch, A new Leica format was just released as multi file
> OME.TIF. Do you have example sets?

Hmm, not to my knowledge. We have some in the old "LOME" format, but looking
through our samples, nothing in this new Leica OME-TIFF-based format that I
could see. If you have a sample dataset you are willing to pass along to
Melissa, we would highly appreciate it!

-Curtis