[ome-devel] OMERO Status: Update

Jason Swedlow jason at lifesci.dundee.ac.uk
Fri Nov 7 00:38:28 GMT 2008

Hi All-

Just an update on our progress on OMERO, and some updated timelines.

1. Thanks to all of you for your help and feedback on our most recent
OMERO releases.  We are seeing alot of usage, and have over 350
OMERO.server installations up and running.  All in all, that would
suggest installation goes pretty well, although we still have work to
do.  As always, any and all feedback is appreciated.

2. Our most recent release, OMERO-Beta3.1 is doing well, but as
anyone who reads our lists knows, has some problems.  OMERO-Beta3.2
is an update to fix  a number of problems that have been reported on
these lists.  We'll start testing OMERO-Beta3.2 tomorrow on our
production server in Dundee and hope to have it out to community by
the end of next week.  The tickets and items fixed are at:

http://trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/omero/roadmap
http://trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/shoola/roadmap

For users, the most important updates will be fixes for some of the
import problems that have been recently discussed.  We have also
fixed some memory problems on both OMERO.server and OMERO.insight.

3. We've tried hard to improve the OMERO client documentation, to
help people see what OMERO can do.  See

http://trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/shoola/wiki

As always, let us know anything you'd like changed.

4.  We are moving well towards our release of OMERO-Beta4. The user-
visible features will include a new web-browser-based client,
OMERO.web (http://trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/omero/wiki/OmeroWeb), a
completely rebuilt data import system, including OMERO.fs (http://
trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/omero/wiki/OmeroFs), and a substantially
improved workflow in OMERO.insight, and much more complete metadata
support across the whole OMERO Platform.  See our Roadmap changes for
a full list.

To ensure we have enough time to test all the new facilities in OMERO-
Beta4, we've put off release until 15 Feb 2009.

Finally, we'll be bringing the OME Team to the ASCB Meeting in San
Francisco.  Please stop by the OME booth, meet the team, see the
latest OMERO versions in action, and let us know any feedback.

As always, thanks for your support.

Cheers,

Jason

**************************
Wellcome Trust Centre for Gene Regulation & Expression
College of Life Sciences
MSI/WTB/JBC Complex
University of Dundee
Dow Street