[ome-devel] running self compiled omero blitz

josh.moore at gmx.de josh.moore at gmx.de
Sat Dec 6 14:05:25 GMT 2008

Bernhard Voigt writes:
 > Hi!

Hi Bernhard,

 > I've been struggling a bit to get omero blitz running (version 3.1.1). In
 > particular to problems appeared:
 >
 > 1. changing the omero.data.dir property in dist/etc/omero.properties has no
 > effect. I needed to create the /OMERO to get rid of the start up error which
 > appears in var/log/master.out:
 > 2008-12-05 10:59:51,042 ERROR [                ome.services.blitz.Entry]
 > (      main) Error on startup.
 > ...... snip .....
 > SessionFactory' defined in class path resource [ome/services/hibernate.xml]:
 > Invocation of init method failed;
 >  nested exception is org.hibernate.HibernateException: Unable to initialize:
 > FullText
 > .... snip .....
 > Caused by: org.hibernate.search.SearchException: Cannot write into index
 > directory: /OMERO/
 > -----
 > When do I have to change this configuration property, prior running java
 > omero setup, bin/omero admin start, bin/omero admin deploy -- or is it
 > always read in at start up and I shoud be able tochange it any time I like?

At the moment, it's necessary to have all configuration properties set
before startup (bin/omero admin start). Setting those properties
consists of editing any (or all) of the files in etc/ and then running
"ant update". "java omero setup" is simply a method of creating
etc/local.properties, which you can equally do by hand.

 > 2. when I start the blitz server from an account beeing not the owner of the
 > omero database, I get these warning and errors:
 >
 > 2008-12-05 10:21:34,578 WARN  [ge.v2.async.ThreadPoolAsynchronousRunner] (
 > Timer-1) com.mchange.v2.async.Th
 > readPoolAsynchronousRunner$DeadlockDetector at 1ac1adf -- APPARENT DEADLOCK!!!
 > Creating emergency threads for un
 > assigned pending tasks!
 > 2008-12-05 10:21:34,582 WARN  [ge.v2.async.ThreadPoolAsynchronousRunner] (
 > Timer-1) com.mchange.v2.async.Th
 > readPoolAsynchronousRunner$DeadlockDetector at 1ac1adf -- APPARENT DEADLOCK!!!
 > Complete Status:
 > ... snip ...
 > 2008-12-05 10:21:42,578 INFO  [ng.ShutdownSafeEhcacheManagerFactoryBean]
 > (      main) Shutting down EHCache CacheManager
 > 2008-12-05 10:21:42,585 ERROR [                ome.services.blitz.Entry]
 > (      main) Error on startup.
 > ...snip....
 > nested exception is
 > org.springframework.transaction.CannotCreateTransactionException: Could not
 > open JDBC Connection for transaction; nested exception is
 > java.sql.SQLException: An attempt by a client to checkout a Connection has
 > timed out.
 >
 > I can login with psql -U omero omero3_1, using any account, though (after I
 > changed the PostgreSQL client authentication config to 'trust' for
 > connection from the local machine).

The command you give here "psql -U omero omero3_1" uses a local socket
for connection. Java/JDBC, however, will always have to use a TCP
connection. To test how OMERO would connect, try:

psql -h localhost -U omero omero3_1

Have you run across:

  http://trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/omero/wiki/OmeroAndPostgres

yet?