[ome-devel] running self compiled omero blitz

Bernhard Voigt bernhard.voigt at gmail.com
Mon Dec 8 09:47:16 GMT 2008

Hi Josh!

At the moment, it's necessary to have all configuration properties set
> before startup (bin/omero admin start). Setting those properties
> consists of editing any (or all) of the files in etc/ and then running
> "ant update". "java omero setup" is simply a method of creating
> etc/local.properties, which you can equally do by hand.

Ah, maybe I missed the update all the time ... good to know!

> The command you give here "psql -U omero omero3_1" uses a local socket
> for connection. Java/JDBC, however, will always have to use a TCP
> connection. To test how OMERO would connect, try:
>
> psql -h localhost -U omero omero3_1

That worke as well, though db connection from blitz didn't.

> Have you run across:
>
>  http://trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/omero/wiki/OmeroAndPostgres
>
> yet?

I've seen it before, and read it again. I've looked into the authentication
configuration and the ip/port defintions. Now I have in pg_hba.conf

 IPv4 local connections:
host    all         all         127.0.0.1/32          md5
host    all         all         192.168.1.0/24        md5

and in postgresql.conf

listen_addresses = 'localhost,bbox'             # what IP address(es) to
listen on;

where bbox is the name of my host which is in the private network from where
hosts are allowed to connect to.
This setup works now, I can connect from blitz clients to the db :-)

Suspicious was that with the previous setup without the private network
connection configuration, I wasn't asked for a password when connection to
the db server using
$ psql -h localhsot -U omero omero3_1

Now, when using bbox as the db host, I have to enter the password for the
omero user:
$ psql -h bbox -U omero omero3_1
Password for user omero:

I bet this is related to the problem being not able to connect to the db via
blitz using another account rather than omero for running the server.

Best wishes! Bernhard