[ome-devel] OME matlab install

kris kris at cs.ucsb.edu
Mon Mar 20 22:16:39 GMT 2006

OME version: CVS
matlab version:  7.0.4

I've run into several problems with our installation
of matlab and OME.

To begin with, the installation script fails for a variety
of reasons while trying to tie OME to our varied installation.

1.   OME/Matlab/Makefile.PL

    The default C compile cannot be overridden.   The standard 'cc' is
set to gcc-4.0.3 which is incompatible with the matlab interface code.
Defining CC, and running the install script  doesn't seem to work
even though I can't find in the installation code where the environment
is stripped.   If I modify the Makefile.PL to define CC=> 'gcc-3.3',
then the compilation succeeds.

The line below causes gcc-4.X to fail.

 $ gcc-3.3 -c  -I/home/matlab/extern/include -D_REENTRANT -D_GNU_SOURCE
-DTHREADS_HAVE_PIDS -DDEBIAN -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe
-I/usr/local/include -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -O2
-DVERSION=\"2.004001\" -DXS_VERSION=\"2.004001\" -fPIC
"-I/usr/lib/perl/5.8/CORE" Matlab.c
In file included from /home/matlab/extern/include/matrix.h:203,
                 from Matlab.xs:41:
/home/matlab/extern/include/tmwtypes.h:682: warning: useless keyword or
type name in empty
declaration/home/matlab/extern/include/tmwtypes.h:682: warning: empty
declaration

2.  During matlab installation, 'make test' fails.

    We've installed matlab under /home/matlab,   even though the PATH
variable is set to include /home/matlab/bin, the installation cannot
find the executable until links are place /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin.
The test should probably be run with the matlab path defined during the
install.

3.  matlab extra parameters:

    One of our machines runs a 64 kernel and 32 bit user space.
    Matlab works fine if it is launched with the extra parameter
    -glnx86.    However, we fail during installation as we cannot
    pass the user test, etc... I haven't found any environment
    vars to define, but it would also be useful to have some
    default params passed as configuration variable.

--
Kristian Kvilekval
kris at cs.ucsb.edu  http://www.cs.ucsb.edu/~kris w:805-893-2526 h:504-9756