[ome-devel] Re: [ome-nitpick] OME Knoppix

Tony Scelfo tonys at MIT.EDU
Mon Mar 28 23:09:35 BST 2005

One of the tricky things with relying on Knoppix is that its tough to
know when Knoppix will not work.

There are some knoppix "cheatcodes" that you can specify at the initial
bootscreen instead of just hitting enter to boot.

Try "knoppix xvrefresh=60 xhrefresh=80" on the computer with the sync
out-of-range problem.

Try "knoppix nodhcp" on the computer with the dhcp problem.

I don't think that it is the best idea to disable networking with an
ome knoppix cd.  Its kind of nice to be able to launch a browser and
pull up the ome documentation from the same computer that someone is
testing ome on.  If the "knoppix nodhcp" command works, then a visible
disclaimer can be made to say that if the computer is not going to be
on the network, "knoppix nodhcp" will be needed to ensure that it works
properly.

If you look on the cd, in the KNOPPIX folder, there is a file called
knoppix-cheatcodes.txt.  That file has the complete listing of boot
time parameters.  I think its also possible to get a listing of them by
hitting something like F2 on the initial knoppix boot screen.  I can't
check right now because I am surrounded by macs.

Tony