[ome-devel] Re: XML-RPC

Ilya Goldberg igg at nih.gov
Thu Jul 7 15:19:36 BST 2005

Mike!
He lives!
How are ya?

On Jul 7, 2005, at 9:56 AM, Wood, Mike wrote:

> I looked on the web site but cannot find the documentation and syntax
> for talking with the image server using XML-RPC.

Image server doesn't talk XMLRPC.  It talks plain old HTTP, sending
back text/plain or image/tiff or application/octet-stream mime types.
You send it things using multi-part forms (PUT requests) or just
parameters on the URL (GET requests).  There's a client-side C library
that implements this stuff that Tomasz wrote recently.  That's
documented on the web-site:
http://www.openmicroscopy.org/api/omeis/client-interface.html

It doesn't do XMLRPC to avoid the overhead so it can be fast.  Pretty
much everything was sacrificed at the altar of speed.  With a proper
network and a decent server, its wicked-fast.  It can be much faster
than talking to your local drive.

> I also cannot find the source for shoola as an example for interfacing
> with the server using Java. I tried getting the sources from CVS using
> the documentation supplied on http://cvs.openmicroscopy.org.uk/
> <http://cvs.openmicroscopy.org.uk/>  but I get the following error
> message from CVS:
>
> cvs [login aborted]: connect to cvs.openmicroscopy.org.uk:2401 failed:
> connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly
> respond after a period of time, or established connection failed
> because
> connected host has failed to respond.

Wow, I don't know why that is.  I remember way back when your company
shut off access to CVS at its firewall.  That may still be the case.
Can you do
telnet cvs.openmicroscopy.org.uk 2401

-Ilya