[ome-devel] OME-SRV-TESTS and consistency questions

Harry Hochheiser hsh at nih.gov
Tue Jul 12 19:21:59 BST 2005

Some recent examination of small ome-java/back-end bugs (as identified
by Curtis) led me to a larger concern that merits some wider
discussion.

Basically, there is an inconsistency between the OMe-JAVA tests in
OME-SRV-TESTS and the data model that renders those tests useless for
the newest data model (2.15). The problem lies in the requirement that
MEXs not be null for STs.  As written, the OME-SRV-TESTs that create
category groups and other objects do not create MEXs. Thus, these tests
fail to meet the integrity constraints, and therefore fail outright.

I am aware that Ilya ran these tests last month, and they seemed to
work. i cannot explain this result.

This is not a problem in Shoola, because the annotation manager is
called to create annotations for objects before they are complete. This
provides the necessary MEXs.

This inconsistency raises a couple of questions. On the one hand, the
OME-SRV-TESTS should probably be as close to the Shoola code as
possible - if Shoola's OMEDS layer is using the annotation manager to
create annotations on newly created objects, the OME-SRV-TESTS should
probably be doing the same thing. Divergence between the tests and the
client presents an opportunity for further inconsistency and confusion.

The other, potentially deeper question involves clarity of the API. If
the OME-JAVA API contains calls for creating objects that are not in
and of themselves sufficient for complete creation of legal objects,
we should consider extending the API to make these functions more clear
and modular. As it stands now, the shoola data server (via the class
OMEDSGateway) is tightly coupled to the OMe-JAVA layer in many ways.
This makes the construction of clear code somewhat tricky.

-harry