[ome-devel] OME-XML validation

Curtis Rueden ctrueden at wisc.edu
Mon Apr 18 18:42:28 BST 2005

Hi,

I'm trying to learn about XML validation. I've tried validating the
ome.xsd schema, as well as the Sample.ome file, using the online XSD
schema validator at http://apps.gotdotnet.com/xmltools/xsdvalidator/ but
I'm running into trouble.

Attempting to validate Sample.ome by itself produces a long string of
errors claiming that none of the elements are declared:

--------
Error at (40,2): The
'http://www.openmicroscopy.org/XMLschemas/OME/FC/ome.xsd:OME' element is
not declared. An error occurred at , (40, 2).&amp;lt;OME<br> xmlns =
"http://www.openmicroscopy.org/XMLschemas/OME/FC/ome.xsd"<br> xmlns:STD
= "http://www.openmicroscopy.org/XMLschemas/STD/RC2/STD.xsd"<br>
xmlns:Bin =<br>
"http://www.openmicroscopy.org/XMLschemas/BinaryFile/RC1/BinaryFile.xsd"<br>
xmlns:xsi = "http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"<br>
xsi:schemaLocation =<br>
"http://www.openmicroscopy.org/XMLschemas/OME/FC/ome.xsd<br>
http://www.openmicroscopy.org/XMLschemas/OME/FC/ome.xsd<br>
http://www.openmicroscopy.org/XMLschemas/STD/RC2/STD.xsd<br>
http://www.openmicroscopy.org/XMLschemas/STD/RC2/STD.xsd"&amp;gt; Error
at (45,3): The
'http://www.openmicroscopy.org/XMLschemas/OME/FC/ome.xsd:Project'
element is not declared. An error occurred at , (45, 3).&amp;lt;Project
Name = "Stress Response Pathway" ID =
"urn:lsid:foo.bar.com:Project:123456"&amp;gt;<br> --------

Attempting to validate just the ome.xsd schema document produces a long
string of errors claiming that all the elements have already been declared:

--------
The global element
'http://www.openmicroscopy.org/XMLschemas/OME/FC/ome.xsd:OME' has
already been declared. An error occurred at , (39, 3). The global
element 'http://www.openmicroscopy.org/XMLschemas/OME/FC/ome.xsd:Image'
has already been declared. An error occurred at , (65, 3). The global
element
'http://www.openmicroscopy.org/XMLschemas/OME/FC/ome.xsd:CreationDate'
has already been declared. An error occurred at , (132, 3).
--------

Attempting to validate the Sample.ome file against the ome.xsd schema
with the proper NamespaceURI
(http://www.openmicroscopy.org/XMLschemas/OME/FC/ome.xsd), I get the
same long string of errors regarding elements having already been declared.

Am I missing something obvious? Is there a recommended technique for
validating the OME schema files and for OME-XML documents?

Thanks,
Curtis