[ome-devel] Re: [Fwd: OME analysis]

Josiah Johnston siah at mac.com
Wed Apr 13 13:50:39 BST 2005

Doug has been slow on the replies to us to. ;) I wouldn't take it
personally, I think he's been busy with school and hanging out with his
girlfriend (she recently visited him). You should be informed that he
is no longer working on the OME project. He left at the end of last
summer to pursue a PhD program. So while he is still a great source of
wisdom on the Analysis Engine, he no longer has an obligation to the
project.
Questions like this usually have the best chance of being answered if
they are sent to the developer list:
ome-devel at lists.openmicroscopy.org.uk

We're actually discussing a paper on the Analysis Engine, but that
won't be out for a little while.
The documentation on the distributed AE is in the source tree of the
main package, which you can get from http://cvs.openmicroscopy.org.uk/
	OME/src/perl2/OME/Analysis/Engine/README.DISTRIBUTED
A url to that is
http://cvs.openmicroscopy.org.uk/horde/chora/co.php?
r=1.7&f=OME%2Fsrc%2Fperl2%2FOME%2FAnalysis%2FEngine%2FREADME.DISTRIBUTED
As far as I know, the distributed AE hasn't been tested for a while,
but worked just dandy the last time it was exercised. We are planning
to use it in the Baltimore lab relatively soon, so it not be considered
dead code.

Some folks in Dundee have been working on a species of distribution
specialized for deconvolution.

General documentation on analysis modules, chains, etc can be found on
the main website.
http://www.openmicroscopy.org/concepts/analysis-modules.html

The state of the Analysis System is that yes, it works, but doesn't
have a pretty interface for executing chains. You can extend it by
writing new modules. The easiest way to get a feel for that that is to
work off of examples in the xml directory OME/src/xml/OME/Analysis/.
That's yet another thing we could use "Hello World" style introductions
for.
Right now, it's pretty easy to write modules to wrap legacy matlab code
or code that can be executed on a command line. The CLI handler hasn't
been touched for a while, and won't work until it's brought up to
speed. The matlab handler is under active development, and should work
once you set the the OME-matlab connections. The best documentation we
have of writing module definitions in xml is linked to from this page:
	http://www.openmicroscopy.org/api/xml/
Chains can be built by writing XML or by using the chain builder in
Shoola.
For chains requiring little user input, the ome commander will work
fine for executing them. Documentation on that is here
	http://www.openmicroscopy.org/system-admin/execute.html

Hopefully this will get you started. Thanks for your interest in the
project. If you end up making extensions or writing new modules, please
let us know. We can always use more code contributors, and like to know
what people end up finding useful.

-Josiah